Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G.T.C. camp Stobs

derekb

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this enquiry,

I have just obtained a photograph, entitled " Church Parade, G.T.C. camp, Stobs, July 19th 1914"

Can anyone tell me what G.T.C. means, also is there any way of finding out what units were at Stobs on that date.

Regards,

Derek.

Hello Derek,

I don't know what GTC stands for - something Territorial Camp possibly.

I have some articles from the Scotsman about the Territorial camp at Stobs in July 1914. Briefly:

Scotsman 17/7/1914 -

Leith advance party at Stobs

An advance party of the 7th Bn Royal Scots, comprising 25 men under Major Archibald left Leith yesterday evening for Stobs where they will be engaged in making preparations for the main body of the battalion, numbering about 700 men who will proceed to camp on Sunday.

18/7/1914 -

Preparations at Stobs

The Edinburgh and Leith Territorial battalions are due at Stobs on Sunday where they will remain for a fortnight, and advance parties arrived yesterday. The 8th HLI also arrived from Hamilton.

The main article is on Monday 20/7/1914 -

Lothian Brigade arrived yesterday.

(The article goes into more details but does state that the Brigade consisted of 4th, 5th, 6th 7th, 8th 9th Bns Royal Scots and 8th Bn HLI)

If you want the whole article send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it on.

Carolyn

Derek,

Are you sure that it is not "OTC" - Officers Training Corps?

I believe that the Edinburgh University OTC had a camp at Stobs immediatley prior to the start of the Great War.

Please see my Stobs website here: http://stobs-camp.bizhat.com/index.htm

The photo shows Officers of the OTC at Stobs after a church parade:

post-172-1272612601.jpg

The men:

post-172-1272612906.jpg

To the two Dereks,

That was a wonderful site about Stobs Camp Derek (Robertson). It think you may have nailed it with "OTC". I believe the Edinburgh (and other) OTCs were in camp at the time derekd mentioned. The Scotsman of Monday 20th July 1914 (page 9) describes the Lothian Brigade arriving in camp and states that during the course of Sunday a number of church services were held including the one mentioned below:

post-5583-1272614757.jpg

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks for the post - very interesting. I had no idea that the men were coming from a wider area than just Scotland.