Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade, 9th Battalion

Beselare

I am researching Rifleman John James Smith of the 9th Battalion, Rifle Brigade. He was killed on 25th September 1915 - does anyone know where the 9th Battalion was on that date? Rifleman Smith is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Many thanks

Bob Findley

Beselare

Belgium

• Admin

On the 25th September 1915 the main offensive was at Loos but it is also known for the '2nd Battle of Bellewaerde' which could be described as a 'diversionary' attack. According to the LLT the 9th Bn Rifle Brigade were probably engaged there, around Poperhinge, as part of the 14th (Light) Division.

I'm sure a regimental history would give their exact disposition.

If you haven't done so already can I suggest you link to the Long Long Trail at the top of the page esp. 'researching a soldier'

Ken

I take it this is him - CWGC have him as James John:-

Name: SMITH, JAMES JOHN

Initials: J J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Service No: S/5298

Additional information: Husband of Annie Maria Smith, of 54, Northumberland St., Poplar, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 46 - 48 and 50.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Bob

According to the war diary 9th Bn RB launched an attack; probably as suggested as a diversion to Loos. The battalion was opposite Railway Wood near Ypres and from memory there are still a number of small mine craters in the area - one of which may have been the one detonated beneath the German trenches as part of the attack. The diary has plenty of detail as to what each company did but it gives no mention of other rank casualties of which Rfn Smith would have been one. If you want I can email you the relevent pages; if you can PM me an email address I'll send them whenever I can get the chance over the next couple of days.

I hope this has been of some help

Colin

I am researching Rifleman John James Smith of the 9th Battalion, Rifle Brigade. He was killed on 25th September 1915 - does anyone know where the 9th Battalion was on that date? Rifleman Smith is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Many thanks

Bob Findley

Beselare

Belgium

Dear Colin

Thank you very much indeed for your kind offer. As I am trying to locate the exact trench where he was killed, the information will hopefully be very useful. My e-mail address is:

motcom@aol.com

Kind Regards

Bob

There you go Bob - I love it when a plan comes together!

Cheers,

Mark

Bob,

If you try the search engine for Bellewaarde and/or 9th RB you will come across a lot of material concerning this diversionary attack for Loo's which was disastrous for the 9th RB, from Division, Brigade and Battalion war diaries that I have placed on here in the past. Another search to cover this would be Hugh Montague Butterworth, an officer of the 9th RB that was killed in this action, there is a thread covering his story which contains maps and details of the action. Another good source with regard to this attack is the C.O.'s book "Villiers-Stuart goes to War" who was sent home after the action of the 25th.

Andy

Dear Andy

Many thanks for the recommended link to Hugh Montague Butterworth. It provided nearly all the information I needed.

Bob

Bob,

Glad that it helped. Always worth using the search engine, and the beta search, the forum has been here for sometime now with a lot of subjects covered.

Andy