Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Victoria Rifles

Beselare

I am trying to locate the position where Rifleman James John Smith of the 9th Battn, Rifle Brigade, was killed.

His date of death was 25th September 1915. Can anyone please help with the location of the Battalion on that date?

Many thanks

Bob Findley

Beselare

Belgium

In view of that, Bob, it might be worth re-titling this thread with Rifle Brigade in the title. It will attract experts like wasps to a jar of honey.

Well that's a bummer i have a group to the CO of the QVR that i am trying to get a war diary for 1917.... F B Follett DSO,MC

never mind

MC

Well that's a bummer i have a group to the CO of the QVR that i am trying to get a war diary for 1917.... F B Follett DSO,MC

never mind

MC

A Royal Warwickshire Regt Regular whose appointment caused much anger in the battalion. Not against him personally but against the idea that an 'outsider' should be appointed to command. DSO 18.7.17. Six references to him in the QVR history.

A Royal Warwickshire Regt Regular whose appointment caused much anger in the battalion. Not against him personally but against the idea that an 'outsider' should be appointed to command. DSO 18.7.17. Six references to him in the QVR history.

Bill could i please get a copy of those 6 mentions to him as CO of the QVR in 1917 .I would like to get his service record but Kew is 12000 miles away .

Thanks MC

In view of that, Bob, it might be worth re-titling this thread with Rifle Brigade in the title. It will attract experts like wasps to a jar of honey.

I think 9/RB were in action at Bellewaarde in late Sep 1915, a diversionary attack for Loos IIRC, but I don't have my notes to hand.

Definitely worth correcting the Topic title - I only popped in because the QVRs were affiliated to the KRRC. They had no connection whatever to the RB so there's a pretty low probability that the real RB expert will spot this under its current title :huh:

Cheers,

Mark