Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information required on Royal Engineers

martinclift

In my search for soldiers who died at the battle of Bellewaarde, 16th June 1915, I have come across these 7 Royal Engineers who are commemerated on the Menin Gate.

As not much else was going on in the area I can only assume the Royal Engineers played a big part in said battle

Does anyone have any diary information or can anyone tell me what their role would have been

Fullname RankService no Unit Regiment Date of death

BYRNE, PERCY RICHMOND Sapper 442 1st/1st (Cheshire) Field Coy. Royal Engineers 16-Jun-15

HUGHES, CHARLES Sapper 325 1st/1st (Cheshire) Field Coy. Royal Engineers 16-Jun-15

HURRELL, TOM Sapper 17057 56th Field Coy. Royal Engineers 16-Jun-15

JONES, DAVID Corporal 57 1st/1st (Cheshire) Field Coy. Royal Engineers 16-Jun-15

MANGAN, F Sapper 22503 56th Field Coy. Royal Engineers 16-Jun-15

MEW, H A C Sapper 23738 56th Field Coy. Royal Engineers 16-Jun-15

SMITH, WALTER Sapper 388 1st/1st (Cheshire) Field Coy. Royal Engineers 16-Jun-15

Many thanks

Martin

Many thanks for that 'D' I've changed it (looks a bit strange but, if it does the job, that's all I want.

Martin

Martin

Sapper Percy Richmond Byrne 442 was killed in action at Hooge by a piece of an exploding shell, which struck him in the side on 16th June 1915. The 1/1st Cheshire Field Company were apparently in support of an attack on the German held positions running between Hooge and Bellewaarde Farm, His brother Corporal A J Byrne was wounded in the wrist during the same action

I don't have much on his page yet, but that is part of what I need to upload. Up to now I don't have any diary information either, so maybe someone else can help you more with that. Still very early days for my particular project, still collating/collecting information and trying to identify them all

Caryl