Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Powell, Welsh Bantam

mtaylor

An account written in an exercise book by / of George Powell, a recruit to one of the Welsh ‘bantam’ battalions during WW1 was at Cyfarthfa Castle Museum, Merthyr but was returned to the lender. Does anyone know where it may be now?

Thanks Geraint - now why didn't I think of that? Actually their records are somewhat patchy and they can't tell me!

Try a letter to the local press and ask them to publish it to help your search? Maybe a relative who still lives in the area has it and might see the request for info. A long shot but you never know. What about the local archive office? Might have been presented there?

Bernard

Thanks Bernard - I'll follow up once certain none of the pals here have any info.

Sorry mtaylor; didn't mean to sound offish!

Merthyr's a close knit community, and I'm certain that there will be memories of the man. Is there an ex-servicemen's club there who may be able to suggest the name of a local historian with military interest. This has worked for me in the past. Contact the museum again requesting such info. As Bernard suggests try the local archives and ask for a local historian's name and email.

Try googling BBC South East Wales blog site for local history - you knever know what can turn up there.

Geraint

Thanks Geraint

Mike