Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Starting a collection

Liesl

Hi all,

I want to start a small collection of military items from the units etc that my ancestors were fighting in. How do I starting looking for items to purchase? I really want only a few things to frame along with photos and medals to give a visual memorial and for it to be something to pass on to other family in the future.

Liesl

Hello,

If I were you, I would try placing an ad on the forum for the items you are after, there are always people on here who have spares. Failing that, if you are looking for badges etc, I would only buy from a recommended dealer, other wise it is very easy to spend good money on modern copies!

What sort of items are you after? If you let us know, we can point you in the right direction.

All the best,

Stewart

All depends on what items you are looking for, cap badges, shoulder titles, medals, do you want restrikes, real ones, price you want to pay. Try arm fairs where you can look at them or take your chance on ebay. JG

I would try placing an ad on the forum for the items you are after, there are always people on here who have spares.

I agree that there is the "Wants" section in "Classifieds" but this is only for members with 100+ posts.

The other option, as mentioned by Stewart, is dealers. Beware of Ebay though - there is the odd unscrupulous seller with copy badges.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I am not really sure what I am after, don't want a whole uniform or anything just some badges and patches mainly for Black Watch/Scottish horse for WW1.

The other stuff is WW2 Rats of Tobruk so I will have to go over to another forum for that, I assume dealers would have items from many wars rather than specializing in just one?

Liesl

Thanks for the replies guys,

I am not really sure what I am after, don't want a whole uniform or anything just some badges and patches mainly for Black Watch/Scottish horse for WW1.

The other stuff is WW2 Rats of Tobruk so I will have to go over to another forum for that, I assume dealers would have items from many wars rather than specializing in just one?

Liesl

Hi,what Battalion are you looking for.?and what is the family name.?

Ebay is ok for the medals,I have not had a duff one yet,only thing is it looks as if I`ll have another one to bid against now. :angry::thumbsup:

all the best Gary

Thanks P.B. I will have a look at this forum.

Gary - I don't think you will have anything to worry about, I don't think I will be able to match anyone here! I will probably end up bidding on the wrong thing or getting a dud! That's why I cam to you guys first - so I wouldn't get caught out and to learn the tricks!

My ancestor is Robert Skinner 315706 Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), "C" Coy. 13th (Scottish Horse) Bn. Died 03/10/1918

I know I probably won't be able to get anything of his exactly but I am hoping to maybe find some small items from the same battalion

Liesl

Liesl never say never,his other Scottish Horse number was 4281 that will be on the BWM & Victory,do you have his Medal Card.?

"On the 3rd of October one company was engaged in the attack on Le Catelet and Gouy,where it lost one officer and 13 O.Rs killed,and one officer and 24 O.Rs wounded." (History Of The Black Watch.)

Gary.

I think I know what you mean Liesl. I bought some odd Scottish Horse buttons and a badge to mount around a photograph of my Grandfather and they make a nice addition to the B&W pic. Although they are not his, they are representative of what he could have worn at the time. If I had the money I would go for the whole uniform like some other members here have managed to put together! When you really get into it then you will find it difficult to stop. Good luck.

Have you managed to get a copy of his Scottish Horse record? The enlistment books still exist and are held by the Dunkeld cathedral museum. They can supply a transcribed version of his entry, however about a year ago I was through and was allowed to photograph the entries I was after.

A good Scottish Horse badge, shoulder title and some buttons should not be too hard to find. The titles are usually around £10-12, cap badge are about £10-15 and buttons are about £1. They do turn up on Ebay, but to be on the safe side, as they are copied, I would buy from a good dealer. it may cost a couple of pounds more, but they are guaranteed original and will maintain there value.

Happy hunting,

Stewart

Lies, you could also purchase a reproduction trench cap and uniform for display.

I recently sold a WW1 Brodie steel helmet to one chap who was putting together a display to pay homage to his grandfather.

He bought a repro tunic and bought original badges. In the end it cost him a fraction of what it would have cost to buy original

uniform items.

Thank you all for your help. It looks like I might get a shot at some of this material! I will go onto the other forum as suggested and see what I can turn up. As I don't have a clue what I am looking for if I just send an email to dealers will they be helpful enough??

I managed to contact the Black Watch in Perthshire and I have a copy of the diary entry. I didn't know about his other number but I have his medal card from Ancestry. I will check into the other ideas mentioned on this thread.

Thanks again guys - it's so nice to have so much help!

Liesl

if I just send an email to dealers will they be helpful enough??

Dealers? just be careful not too sound too naive and desperate.

Know what you are looking for first, ask questions on this forum and then once you have the answers, ask the dealers.

I know there are many good dealers out there, but there are lots of shady ones as well.