Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm new here and would really appreciate some help!

gorgeousgirl68

Hi to everyone. I'm looking for some advice, if anyone can help.

My GG grandfather was Sidney Neighbour. He was in 3 battalion Rifle brigade- prince own consort. (I don't even know what much of that means!!) What unit would it be?

I'd like to find out as much as possible about his brigade etc.

He died in 1916. I've been advised that the day he died, there was no battle, or fighting, and he was the only man that died that day. It seems that there may be a slim chance that he could be named in any war diary as he was the only man to die that day??

His number was Z/483 and he died on the 4th June 1916. In his obituary it states that he was in the lewis machine gun section.

I'd really love to know if there is any way of finding out how he died, illness? Accident? I have looked on the NA website, and havent come up with anything.

Sorry if this sounds garbled, I'm a bit confused by all the battalions etc.

Any clues or help would be so gratefull received, so many thanks in advance! :D

Cheryl.

Cheryl. Welcome to the Forum. Firstly the correct title is 3rd Battalion The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consorts Own), 298 men were killed on the 4th June 1916 but he was the only 3rd Batt man to be killed, according to Soldiers Died Great War (SDGW) cd he was born Camberwell enlisted London and resided East Dulwich. His medal index card (MIC) states he went to France 9-2-1915 and was entitled to the 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. Have a read at the Long Long Trail site (top left hand corner of the title page). Regards. Ralph.

Hi Cheryl and a very warm welcome to the Forum. We try to be a friendly bunch here and I am sure you will get plenty of help, especially from the Rifle Brigade experts on here (are you looking Andy).

In the meantime I have found his medal roll card and an entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour. We are being more careful about posting copyright material on here now and until you have 10 posts the personal message system will not work. If you take my name here on the Forum, put it in one word and then @onlinehome.de and send me an email address I can send you a copy of the 2 items.

Jim

You are right Ralph - when did that change? I'm sure it was 10 not long ago :wacko:

Jim

The regular battalions diaries are not the best although the 1st RB diary is good technically. This is the diary for the whole of June 1916, athough the appendices mentioned are not there.

Andy

post-1871-1272398016.jpg

Here's your man. email me (ct guards @ btinternet . com) - take away the spaces!

post-38150-1272398755.jpg

Hello again.

I am totally overwhelmed by everyones generosity. I'm completely gobsmacked. Thank you so very much.

Obviously I only had part of the story with what happenned the day Sidney Neighbour died. He was the only man from his battallion that died. Well thats answered a few questions.

I beleive that I have a copy of his medal card, and the entry in De Ruvignys roll of honour, not 100%, if I haven't, I will definately be in contact Jim, thank you very much.

I have a very old pic of my GG granny visiting the graveside of Sidney, so to see it up close is amazing, thank you so much. Do you have all the graves individually indexed? Amazing.

I can't beleive how emotional I have been :rolleyes: while doing research on this chap. Its really brought home how horrendous it must have been. It's such a sad waste of life. I do feel quite passionately about the Great War for reasons I didnt even know were in me. Strange how you can feel so sad after so many years, about people you didn't even know. He left 4 children. How many lives were changed forever. Can't begin to imagine what these brave brave men endured.

I'm so grateful for all your help, and i'm going to have a ggod read through the forum, to see what else I can find out.

Warmest regards

Cheryl

Welcome to the forum, Cheryl.

3rd Battalion, The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own). His entry on the CWGC database is here - http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=107015

Thank you so much

Cheryl x

The regular battalions diaries are not the best although the 1st RB diary is good technically. This is the diary for the whole of June 1916, athough the appendices mentioned are not there.

Andy

Thanks. Amazing reading.

Cheryl x