Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Bn, the Rifle Brigade, July 1916

Denisrrigg

Hi, Can anyone help please. I'm trying to determine exactly what action and where the 16th Bn Rifle Brigade were involved in on 4th July 1916. Was the raid part of a bigger overall battle?

About 200 men took from the Bn part in a raid on German trenches at A3b42 (Bethune Combined Sheet). I believe this to be Le Touret area (Festubert section). They were accompanied by men of the 225th Field coy RE with the objective of destroying the trenches.

Thanks in advance

nelad,

17/KRRC were in the same brigade - 117 Bde - and on 04 Jul 1916 were in the front line holding the left half of the Festubert sector. There is no mention of this 16/RB raid, which was probably launched from the Support Line throught the battalion holding the Front Line, as this is exactly what 17/KRRC did on another raid on 11 Jul 1916.

It seems unlikely this was part of a wider assault except inasmuch as it was important to keep German reserves tied down away from The Somme.

More likely just trench warfare "business as usual".

It sounds like you already have the 16/RB war diary?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Thanks for your reply. No I don't have the 16th Bn War Diary, I have the 225th Field Coy RE War Diary and it refers to the 16th Bn and I'm trying to get clear in my mind what was happening as it refers to hand to hand fighting in the trenches and I know that there were deaths from the RE.

Regards

The raid was on a position called The Pope's Nose and was launched at 12.35am, there was a spirited bomb fight in the words of the diary and bayonet fighting with the R.E. coming in after the bomb fight to place charges to demolish an emplacement. Only recorded death for the R.E. who was reported as missing. 16th RB casualties recorded was Captains Blunden, Reacher and 2nd Lt. Butt. 3 O.R.'s were killed, 80 wounded and 24 missing.

The war diary gives an account of this action with the orders for this raid in the appendix.

Andy

Andy Thanks

There is a reasonable account in the 225th war diary of the action but as I said all I have is a map reference. In the RE Lt Scott was missing after the raid, Lt Scotts body was later found and identified through his identity discs.

Denis

Denis,

Send me a pm with your e-mail address and I will send you the diary and appendix with the orders and a daigram to you.

Andy