Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lovat Scouts/Cameron Highlanders

LizBeard

Hello, I am pleased that I have found this site and hope that someone may have an answer!

My GrtGrandfather, William Webb was in Lovat Scouts 4336 and later Cameron Highlanders 226118. I have a printout of the WW1 Medal Rolls index which states Victory G/103 B18, British " " , 15 Star G/2C and theatre of war first served (2B/BBalkans 7.9.1915) This is all fine, except it states Rank Pte but we have many photos of him, some in full dress uniform and other in Egypt 1916, Cairo 1919, and at Mellieha, Malta at a hospital...the problem is..on all these photos he has the 3 stripes of a Sergeant, I am now very confused!, which is not difficult as all of this millitary info is very new to me. I have his medals which includes an Oak leaf, I also have his certificate of Comrades of the Great War, which states Sgt W Webb. If anyone can help, I would be delighted.

Welcome Lizzie.

He would likely have first served at Gallipoli (September-December 1915) followed by Egypt (December 1916-October 1916). After this the Lovat Scouts served in Salonika (October 1916-June 1918). Just prior to Salonika they became the 10th Battalion Cameron Highlanders (Lovat Scouts).

I'd recommend searching Ancestry to see if his records are available as I believe a lot of Lovat Scouts service records survive (I found my Great Uncle's there). They will tell you a great deal about his service. Also have a search through the forum for old posts on the Lovats (I know there are a few).

It would be worth posting your photo's as the Lovat's wore a distinctive uniform and confirmation that the stripes are sergeants stripes (other chevrons were also worn) and also the medal that doesn't sound familiar.

The book "The Story of the Lovat Scouts 1900-1980" by Michael Leslie Melville is also very informative.

Hope that is a start.

Scott

Welcome to the Forum, Lizzie!

The Oak Leaf is for his Mention in Dispatches:

London Gazette 31728 of 9 January 1920

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31728/supplements/504

The names of the undermentioned Officers, Ladies, Warrant Officers, Non-commissioned Officers', and Men are to be added to those brought to notice for distinguished and gallant services by General Sir E. H. H. Allenby, G.C.B., G.O.M.G., Commander-in-Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force, in his despatch of the 5th March, 1919.

CAMERON HIGHLANDERS.

Webb, 226118 Pte. W., 10th (Lovat's Scouts Yeo.) Bn. (T.F.).

So he was still a Private in 1919. Did he perhaps stay in the army for several more years and rise to Serjeant then? If so, his record may still be held by the MoD. See http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Adrian

Welcome Lizzie.

He would likely have first served at Gallipoli (September-December 1915) followed by Egypt (December 1916-October 1916). After this the Lovat Scouts served in Salonika (October 1916-June 1918). Just prior to Salonika they became the 10th Battalion Cameron Highlanders (Lovat Scouts).

I'd recommend searching Ancestry to see if his records are available as I believe a lot of Lovat Scouts service records survive (I found my Great Uncle's there). They will tell you a great deal about his service. Also have a search through the forum for old posts on the Lovats (I know there are a few).

It would be worth posting your photo's as the Lovat's wore a distinctive uniform and confirmation that the stripes are sergeants stripes (other chevrons were also worn) and also the medal that doesn't sound familiar.

The book "The Story of the Lovat Scouts 1900-1980" by Michael Leslie Melville is also very informative.

Hope that is a start.

Scott

Hi Scott, thank you so much for such a quick reply!...most impressed! I have searched Ancestry but only get the WW1 Medal Rolls index cards which I mentioned. I will check out how to upload some photos which may help in my quest....before I loose the will to live!!!...perhaps I need a 'medium'!

Welcome to the Forum, Lizzie!

The Oak Leaf is for his Mention in Dispatches:

London Gazette 31728 of 9 January 1920

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31728/supplements/504

The names of the undermentioned Officers, Ladies, Warrant Officers, Non-commissioned Officers', and Men are to be added to those brought to notice for distinguished and gallant services by General Sir E. H. H. Allenby, G.C.B., G.O.M.G., Commander-in-Chief, Egyptian Expeditionary Force, in his despatch of the 5th March, 1919.

CAMERON HIGHLANDERS.

Webb, 226118 Pte. W., 10th (Lovat's Scouts Yeo.) Bn. (T.F.).

So he was still a Private in 1919. Did he perhaps stay in the army for several more years and rise to Serjeant then? If so, his record may still be held by the MoD. See http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Adrian

Hi Scott, thank you so much for such a quick reply!...most impressed! I have searched Ancestry but only get the WW1 Medal Rolls index cards which I mentioned. I will check out how to upload some photos which may help in my quest....before I loose the will to live!!!...perhaps I need a 'medium'!

Thankyou all for helping...please excuse me if my replies are a little odd...just trying to get the hang of the forum....its just odd that he has the stripes on his uniform in 1916....I will check out the web sites which you have suggested....thanks and will attempt to upload the photos...much appreciated, I think I might be a little out of my depth here!!...

Thankyou all for helping...please excuse me if my replies are a little odd...just trying to get the hang of the forum....its just odd that he has the stripes on his uniform in 1916....I will check out the web sites which you have suggested....thanks and will attempt to upload the photos...much appreciated, I think I might be a little out of my depth here!!...

Hi Lizzie. The best way to show photos is with Flickr or Photobucket. Otherwise, you will need a few more posts and the allowed size is tiny! In the meantime, which arm has the stripes? Are they above or below his elbow and do they point up or down?

Hi Lizzie. The best way to show photos is with Flickr or Photobucket. Otherwise, you will need a few more posts and the allowed size is tiny! In the meantime, which arm has the stripes? Are they above or below his elbow and do they point up or down?

Ah!..eh!...flickr...right ok!!! sorry, I will check that out...How interesting about the stripes, amazing what I learn here. They are on the right arm, above the elbow and pointing down.

There are real experts on the forum who will probably know more but they sound like (3) sergeant's stripes to me. A photo would be very helpful. Aforesaid experts may well be able to date the uniform if they can see it.

There are real experts on the forum who will probably know more but they sound like (3) sergeant's stripes to me. A photo would be very helpful. Aforesaid experts may well be able to date the uniform if they can see it.

Thankyou, I would love the photos to be available to you, I have not used flickr or photobucket but I will check that out now, really appreciate all the help.

I have added photos to 'flickr' named Lovat Scout, I am not sure what happens now, or how you view them. Do I need to make them for public viewing? I have added William Webb in his Dress Uniform but he is not a sargeant in this one. I am looking forward to hearing from the experts!!...thanks

I really don't know how to do this...so guessing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49670624@N03/