Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collar Badges

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

Could somebody please tell me if other ranks would have worn collar badges?

Regards. Llew.

Officially no, unofficially yes in certain units at certain times and places. If you do a search on collar badges you wil find lots of discussion on this.

Except, of course, Pioneer battalions, who wore the crossed rifle and pick badge. Some units (Royal Fusiliers seem to have done this) appear to have worn battalion numerals on the collar, and possibly a fusilier grenade.

Canadians, though - yes.

I still haven't found anyone who can tell me why they are "dogs"!

Bruce

"Badges, collar, dog" perhaps? The "dog" referring to the collar and not the badges.

I still haven't found anyone who can tell me why they are "dogs"!

Bruce

One of the many meanings of dog is a clamp or claw. That is about as close as I can get but the word seems to have been adopted by just about anyone needing a name for something so it might just be what the people who made them called them.

It may or may not interest anyone here, but us Canadians all worn collar "dogs"

first it was the CANADIAN general service maple leaf badges and then a whole slew of infantry battalions collar badges... 260 infantry battalions to be exact, and that's not counting all the corp collar dogs.

CEF badge collectors need two volumes of the Charlton price guide just to keep up...and both bloody books are out of print. and when they do come up for sale, these little pocket books sell for over $125 US .....YIKES

As for the term collar dogs, I always thought it was the usual humorous self derogatory attitude made by the soldiers referring to themselves

as dogs... who wear badges on the collar? like a dog collar?