Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

45th Battalion Royal Fusiliers RSSF

Guest SPR Randolph

Guest SPR Randolph

Dear All,

I would like to know why the lesser medals are not written about. My Grandfather recieved the Cross of St George form King George for services in the Reif forces.

Charged a machine gun implacement killing crew and capturing 40 red amry personnel then another position started firing and he charged that position killed the crew and captured another 60 red Army. Mentioned in dispatches on his bravery. Any futher information would be grateful.

B133 003 Edgar Arnold King 45th Royal Fusiliers

Welcome to the forum SPR8530304. Presumably your grandfather served with the 45th Bn of the Royal Fusiliers in the North Russia Relief Force in 1918/19. The Cross of St George was awarded in four classes, with the 4th Class being the first award, so I assume that is what your grandfather received.

This is not a campaign (or a medal) that I know very much about. If you think they are neglected, perhaps you could help to redress the balance now by telling us more about your grandfather's service and experiences.

Guest SPR Randolph

Well what can you say about grandfather, he ran away from home at 16 to join the AIF did so under a different name. Before leaving for Gallipilie he fell ill and was dying. He gave them his real name and address in brisbane and sent packing. His mother gave him permission to join the army only if he was not near the front so they put him HA HA HA in medical corps as a strecher bearer. So he went through the war doging bullets artillery and could not shot back.

So the opportunity arose to fight in the relief force. I will supply AIF records and relief force records does the Royal Fusiliers in London have anything on his exploites or can I ask the regiment. :D Thanks for taking the time for a brave and grateful man. E.A.KIng B133 003 Royal Fusiliers Russia

Dear All,

I would like to know why the lesser medals are not written about. My Grandfather recieved the Cross of St George form King George for services in the Reif forces.

Charged a machine gun implacement killing crew and capturing 40 red amry personnel then another position started firing and he charged that position killed the crew and captured another 60 red Army. Mentioned in dispatches on his bravery. Any futher information would be grateful.

B133 003 Edgar Arnold King 45th Royal Fusiliers

I think the Cross of St George was a Russian decoration, so King George V would have granted permission to wear it on his Britihs/Australian uniform, but it wouldn't have been presented to him by the British monarch.

Surviving British WWI records can be found on Ancestry.co.uk (for a fee), but something like 60-70% of other ranks records were destroyed by German bombing in WWII.

Pte Edgar Arnold King 20717/133013 is mentioned in the new book Anzacs in Arkhangel by Michael Challinor.

There's not much specifically about him, but the book is a good account of the campaign in North Russia and the exploits of the Australians in the 45th Bn, Royal Fusiliers, North Russia Relief Force.

Gareth

Consider also "Churchill's Crusade" by Clifford Kinvig; there was also a biography of Sam Pearse VC of the 45th Bn that could be bought in the Australian War Memorial.

Hi there,

Interested to hear that your grandfather served in North Russia as this is a particular interest of mine.

Can I ask how you know he was awarded the Cross of St. George? Where did you obtain the information about him charging the MG emplacement? Do you have any documents/medals/photos relating to his service in North Russia?

I dont have Edgar recorded as being Mentioned in Dispatches, do have a record of this?

This is what I have on Edgar, looks like he re-enlisted in the Australian Army Medical Corps in early 1920, probably for the trip home from England:

KING, Edgar Arnold Pte. 20717 23.04.17 Gen. Rfts. AAMC 09.06.19 AAMC Detls. Pte. 133013 45th Bn., R. Fus. WIA, GSW knee and R. arm, Russia.

Pte. 20717 23.02.20 AAMC 26.05.20 AAMC Enlisted in AIF under Alias Peter Douglas SPURWAY.

I'm not sure but I think I might even have a photograph of him taken whilst he was in a hospital in England after Russia.

I would be very interested in you have any further information on his service in North Russia especially any documents/medals/photos for my research.

Best Regards,