Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Wales Borderer

cartesr

Hi

Im wondering if anybody can shed any light on the following relative of mine. He started the WW1 in the 17th Manchesters as 8494 Willliam Carter. But also on his medal card its states under the corps section that he was a private in the south wales bord his number was 64033. I have checked the 17th war diaries but cannot find any ref to a merging with the South Wales. My relative actualy came from manchester, so Im puzzled. He survived the war only to die in Manchester in 1919. Thanks to the Manchester experts ive been able to track down what happened to the 17th Manchesters but would love to know a bit more about the South Wales and at what point he may have joined them and why.

Any help offered would be much appreaciated

regards

Steve

Steve,

It is possible he got wounded or injured in some fashion and after convalescing the SWB needed men more than the Manchesters. It wasn't unusual to get transfered this way.

Steve,

It is possible he got wounded or injured in some fashion and after convalescing the SWB needed men more than the Manchesters. It wasn't unusual to get transfered this way.

Hi Many thanks for your response, Im also still a bit puzzled as to why he had a military funeral or was that a common occurence ?

If he died from a war related cause / injury he would have been eligable for a CWGC headstone

Grant

I have a man who was rejected by the local RWF because he had a "hammer toe",. He went to South Wales and joined SWB without any problem. His dad wrote a letter to the local press asking why the RWF had higher standards than SWB. The boy went on to be a Lewis Gunner and won an MM. Life is so unexplainable!