Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 7th Battalion

Cornwall

Hello, am new to the forum but am interested in DCLI 7th battalion around 15/10/15. They were in the Rue du Bois area but I would like to know what was happening. The battalion diary is a bit vague. Also in May 1916 they were in the Potijze Wood Sector east of Ypres. Can anyone tell me more. Very grateful for any info or pics.

Thank you.

Oppy

I'm sorry but I can't help you with details of any action, but here is an extract of the Rue De Bois area from a trench map dated JULY 1915. German trenches in red but British trenches not shown.

post-42671-1272392741.jpg

Roger

Wyrall's History of the DCLI has only sketchy details, because they weren't in action during your periods.

From 30 September 1915 7/DCLI was out of the line resting at and about Rouge de Bout, near Laventie.

On 29 October 1915 7/DCLI relieved 7/KOYLI in the front-line trenches near Petillon.

On 11 April 1916 7/DCLI was relieved by 6/OBLI [at Elverdinghe Chateau?] and moved back by rail to Brandhoek, thence to Camp "E", near Poperinghe.

On 23 May 1916 7/DCLI returned to front line, relieving 7/SomLI in the Potijze Wood sector. Early the next morning Lt T.W. Lonsdale was wounded by a sniper.

Then there's nothing until the commencement of the Battle of Mount Sorrel on 2 June.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Thank you both very much for the map and info. I have read the relevant bits about the 7th battalion in

Wyrall's book. My father was wounded and out of action for nine months on 26 May 1916 in Potijze Wood and was awarded his MM from recc work near Rue du Bois on and about 15 October 1915. As he was not an officer at this time the details are sketchy and the war diary offered no info.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Best wishes

Oppy