Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisions fighting at Arras

Johno7439

Hi folks, can anyone tell me which division was on the left flank of the 51st(Highland) Division at Arras on 16th May 1917? As part of my ongoing research into that day's fighting I am needing to know which division failed to support the 5th Gordon Highlanders counter attack of that day. Many thanks in advance.

Ewan Have you tried in the LLt , you will find a lot of Information on there

cheers Ianander

At the start of the Arras Offensive the Canadian Corps was on the left of the 51st Div.

Specifically, the Canadian 1st Division. I take it that was still the case in May. I don't really know tbh.

Hi folks, can anyone tell me which division was on the left flank of the 51st(Highland) Division at Arras on 16th May 1917? As part of my ongoing research into that day's fighting I am needing to know which division failed to support the 5th Gordon Highlanders counter attack of that day. Many thanks in advance.

Hi Ewan. I have been looking at the OH for that day and the description given does not fit with your question. According the OH, the 1/5 Gordons were lent to 154th Brigade and were used to attack the Chemical factory and regain the ground which had been lost the day before. There is no mention of any unit on their left. The ground had been lost the previous day when a German attack had coincided with a relief. The attack was halted and most of the losses regained, with the Gordons completing the retaking next day.

Ewan,

Unfortunately no mention of which Division and note date.From the 8th Royal Scots War Diary.

17th May 1917-The Coys did not go out to work tonight as the situation on our front was obscure.The enemy attacked on our front & managed to break through on our left flank but were immediately driven back leaving a number of prisoners in our hands.The attack on our right was easily held up,the enemy suffered heavy casualties.

George

Hi folks, can anyone tell me which division was on the left flank of the 51st(Highland) Division at Arras on 16th May 1917? ... I am needing to know which division failed to support the 5th Gordon Highlanders counter attack of that day.

Ewan, possibly the 17th (Northern) Division. Their history comments that the division has attacked towards Greenland Hill on the 12th, with the 4th Division on their right. On the 13th or thereabouts the 4th was relieved by the 51st Division.

From the history of the 17th: "At 3 a.m. on Wednesday 16th - in the dark hour before dawn on a moonless night - the German guns, till then fairly quiet, opened a tremendous bombardment north of the Scarpe, and an infantry attack was at once launched against our front west of Roeux, and for some distance to the other side of the Douai railway. The SOS signals from the right soon told that the situation on that side was becoming serious."

It then states that the 51st Brigade (not the 51st Division) in Cupid Trench was exposed, and the German attack on the left of the 17th's positions took Cupid Trench.

A counter-attack by the Highlanders took the Chemical Works, but an attack on Cupid Trench failed.

The constituent units of the 51st brigade were the 7th Lincoln, 7th Border, 8th South Staffs and 10th Foresters. I am afraid I have no references for any of them, but I guess War Diaries, etc, would fill you in a bit.

I must say that terms like "failed to support" are a bit judgmental. Chances are that the battalions concerned did their best, but they had been in the line for a week, had attacked Greenland Hill (making some gains), and were due for relief. It's always an eye-opener to look at these things: I recall a few years back comparing battalion histories, regimental histories and divisional histories for an attack on the opening day of 3rd Ypres. Two units who were flanking each other were fighting different wars, let alone battles, it seems.

Hi Ewan. Bewsher's History of the Fifty first Division says;

" It subsequently transpired, that the reason why the 5th Gordon Highlanders arrived in their objectives with an open flank was due to the fact that the attack to be carried out by troops of the neighbouring Division on the left was cancelled, and that no intimation to this effect was received by General Burns or by his attacking troops. "

It doesn't say which Division. You may already have seen this, it is available online HERE

Cheers Mike

I realise my wording on the original post was incorrect and a bit misleading, I do have Brewsher's history of the 51st Division but found it odd that he did not mention which division was neighbouring the 51st. Thanks for all the help, as always it is most appreciated and helpful

Hi Ewan,

The war diary for the 1/5th Battn Gordon Highlanders on the 16th May 1917 contains the following :-

"..It was while waiting for the final assult that some confusion now arose. An officer of the South Staffords, 51st Brigade, who were in touch with us on the left told Captain Kelly O.C. "D" Coy. that the attack was indefinitely postponed, and confirmed this in writing at Capt. Kelly's request. This in conjunction with the fact that at that period, the order for the attack at 7.30pm had not been received led the companies to suppose that no further attack was to be made, and they devoted their attention to consolidation and spreading out their men."

The order for attack eventually arrived unexpectedly a few mins before 7.30pm and by their own admission the company officers had no time to make adequate arrangements.

The southern end of Cupid Trench was taken and held for only a matter of minutes. Again the diary states " As there had been no attack by the 51st Brigade our left flank was badly exposed and our men much outnumbered were forced to evacuate the trench............."

I hope this is of some assistance to you.