Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H Sanderson - Border Regt

Jonathan D'Hooghe

I am tracing some details on Private Harry Sanderson of the Border Regiment kia 17/3/1917. I have a service No. of 242129 but the photo of his grave stone appears to show a service No. 212729, this may be a trick of the light as 212729 and 242129 are not dissimilar. It appears he may have been 4940 The West Riding Rgt and also 49978 The Notts and Derby Rgt too before his death with the Border Rgt. Using Ancestry to check MICs I can find 2 Harry Sandersons 19566 and 2597 later 201226 both appear to have survived the war. So where is my man? or am I missing the obvious! Help please would be appreciated.

Jonathan

Ancestry has MICs for four Harry Sandersons who at some stage served with the Border Regiment.....

post-1432-1272284550.jpg

thank you. my man is the bottom one of your list of 4 but no matter how I searched for him I could not get him!! I will try again

J

I am tracing some details on Private Harry Sanderson of the Border Regiment kia 17/3/1917. I have a service No. of 242129 but the photo of his grave stone appears to show a service No. 212729, this may be a trick of the light as 212729 and 242129 are not dissimilar. It appears he may have been 4940 The West Riding Rgt and also 49978 The Notts and Derby Rgt too before his death with the Border Rgt. Using Ancestry to check MICs I can find 2 Harry Sandersons 19566 and 2597 later 201226 both appear to have survived the war. So where is my man? or am I missing the obvious! Help please would be appreciated.

thank you one and all - my specific issue was using Ancestry to locate a Medal Index Card not finding any other details about Sanderson. To find an MIC for this chap on Ancestry you have to search for Harry Sandersons generally with no service number or regiment and then wade through to find him. If you search Harry Sanderson Border Regiment he does not show up - presumably because of his service in other regiments. Just the vagaries of the Ancestry search engine. Thank you all once again.

If you use the old search facility on Ancestry you can still search by Name and Regiment, Regiment and Service Number or just Service Number for MIC's.

Llew.