Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RHA Gunner J Hayward 76143 - please help

chris75

Hello, I am new to the board and have joined to try and find out the history of the recipient of a group of medals I have.

I am looking for some help/advice about tracing the history of the recipient of 3 WW1 Medals, including if possible, photo's, where he served, battles and campaigns he was involved in.

1914 "Mons" Star with Bar, Victory Medal and British War Medal.

The recipients name is J Hayward, he was a Gunner in the RHA and his service number is 76143, this is all the info I have.

I came accross the medals in Australia, so I guess he or his family may have immigrated sometime after the war.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated,

Thankyou

Welcome to the forum Chris,

here's a start for you, Gunner John Hayward went out to France with 'L' Bty RHA on 15th August 1914.

Originally I and L Batts RHA, based at Aldershot. Under 1st Cavalry Division from August 1914. Following very serious losses at Affair of Nery on 1 September 1914, L Battery was withdrawn from action, returning to the UK to be reformed. It was temporarily replaced by a battery made from various other units and designated Z Battery. L's permanent replacement, H, joined from VI Brigade in England in late September 1914 LLT

cheers, Jon

Welcome to the forum Chris,

here's a start for you, Gunner John Hayward went out to France with 'L' Bty RHA on 15th August 1914.

Originally I and L Batts RHA, based at Aldershot. Under 1st Cavalry Division from August 1914. Following very serious losses at Affair of Nery on 1 September 1914, L Battery was withdrawn from action, returning to the UK to be reformed. It was temporarily replaced by a battery made from various other units and designated Z Battery. L's permanent replacement, H, joined from VI Brigade in England in late September 1914 LLT

cheers, Jon

Hi John & Thankyou,

Where did you find that info, I have been googling for days and havent found a thing referencing him personally or even his regimental number. I posted on another board as well and was told that J Hayward has 2 MIC's but I cannot find any reference to these either.

I am happy to do research myself but just not sure how or where to start but thanks again for filling in some of the blanks.

Cheers, Chris

The 2 MICs can be found at the National Archives and ancestry.co.uk. Sadly it looks as though his service documents were destroyed during the Blitz.

cheers, Jon