Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of unit in 1914

tsrplatelayer

My grandfather served in RMLI in 1914, captured in the defense of Antwerp on 14/10/1914.

His brother served in the 1st Btn Coldstream Guards and died on 29 Oct 1914, commemorated at Ypres and Menin Gate. I believe they were at the Ypres salient.

Can anyone add anything relating to the whereabouts of these units more precisely on these dates, and their activities at that time.

Thanks

Hi tsrp......... Not sure about RMLI, but on the 29th Oct 1914, the 1st Coldstream Guards were in action near Gheluvelt. You can buy the Bn Diary for £3.50, a real bargain. Let me know if you want a link to the page, and will post it.

Cheers Mike

There were four RMLI Battalions in the Royal Naval Division when it went to Antwerp: Chatham, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Deal. The history of the divison (by Douglas Jerrold) is good, and probably available as a reprint. I believe half the Portsmouth Battalion were captured while retiring by train from Antwerp to British lines.

Additionally, there are a few RND people on this forum. I suggest either that you rename this thread, or (better) start a new one with some detail of what you're searching for in the title. try something like "RMLI man captured at Antwerp" or some such. That might attract attention.

PM me if you want the 1st CG War Diary for Oct 1914.

PM cmoes up 'not allowed' and I aren't getting email notifications of replies -

CT-GUARDS - can you PM me so I can give you my emailaddress

I think you need 5 posts under your belt before you can PM.