Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

reason for discharge

jwp2007

could anyone help me out with this one ?,

got the records for my friends relative, he was wounded by gunshot wounds to his back and thighs, the reason for his dishcharge is listed as disembodied,

not sure what this means,

any help much appreciated on this one

kind regards,

John.

Disembodied is - I think - usually just another alternative to discharged. I would expect that somewhere on your man's service record it should have a reference to Para 392 followed by lower case Roman numerals - most typically xvi - which is a reference to the relevant section of King's Regulations and usually equates to the man being no longer physically fit enough for war service.

Dave Swarbrick

Dave is correct in what he says, I have had a look at this mans papers but cannot see the relevant K R 392 (xvi) anywhere although he did suffer gunshot wounds. Ralph.

• Admin

A soldier who was a member of the Territorial Force prior to 1914 was 'embodied' for full time service on the outbreak of war. http://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

I've not looked at your soldier's records but on other records I've seen the notice of 'embodiment' which basically informed the soldier he was eligible for service. It follows that a soldier who was 'embodied', when discharged was 'disembodied', and that was the reason for discharge, either because he was unfit or more likely, given the date, he had completed time served.

Ken

Gentlemen, many thanks indeed for your most helpful replies, it is much appreciated,

kind regards,

John.

Hello John

To summarise all the above, though perhaps a little over-simply, he was "stood down" rather than "invalided out."

Ron

Ron, Chris,

thank you very much for the additional info,

regards,

John.