Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19095 Pte William Roxburgh 16 RS

Roxy

My Great Uncle, William Roxburgh, was born in Glasgow in 1896. By 1900, the family had moved to Edinburgh. His details fit the death of William Roxburgh below.

Name: ROXBURGH, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 19095

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 6 D and 7 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Another William Roxburgh was born in 1896 in Ayrshire. I had assumed that it was my Great Uncle who had joined McCrea's Battalion - rather than the chap from Ayrshire - but can find nothing in CWGC or SNWM to confirm the identity. SNWM gives his place of birth as Edinburgh. A newly found relative in NZ had laid the seed of doubt in my mind! Can any of the Pals confirm whether there is anything on SDGW or anywhere else for that matter.

Thanks in anticipation,

Roxy

My Great Uncle, William Roxburgh, was born in Glasgow in 1896. By 1900, the family had moved to Edinburgh. His details fit the death of William Roxburgh below.

Another William Roxburgh was born in 1896 in Ayrshire. I had assumed that it was my Great Uncle who had joined McCrea's Battalion - rather than the chap from Ayrshire - but can find nothing in CWGC or SNWM to confirm the identity. SNWM gives his place of birth as Edinburgh. A newly found relative in NZ had laid the seed of doubt in my mind! Can any of the Pals confirm whether there is anything on SDGW or anywhere else for that matter.

Thanks in anticipation,

Roxy

Thanks in anticipation,

Roxy

s/7694 Born Greenock

9063 Applegarth Dumfrieshire

11000 Glasgow

19095 Edinburgh

260087 Kilmarnock

Birth places of the five Williams on SDGW.

Thanks very much! As expected, a lightning fast response from the Pals!

It doesn't quite confirm; I'll have a look to see if there are any other Roxburghs of a similar age to my William, but I think that it is my Great Uncle.

Roxy

Incidentally, CWGC doesn't have details of any Roxburgh for 25 Sep 15. It has Capt John Roxburgh and L/Cpl James Roxburgh on 26 and 27 Sep 15 respectively; both were killed whilst serving with 6RSF at Loos.

Listed s/7694 ROXBOROUGH William 25-9-1915 Loos Memorial. Son of Richard and late Jean 39 Ursula St Bootle. Ralph.

Thanks very much! As expected, a lightning fast response from the Pals!

It doesn't quite confirm; I'll have a look to see if there are any other Roxburghs of a similar age to my William, but I think that it is my Great Uncle.

Roxy

Incidentally, CWGC doesn't have details of any Roxburgh for 25 Sep 15. It has Capt John Roxburgh and L/Cpl James Roxburgh on 26 and 27 Sep 15 respectively; both were killed whilst serving with 6RSF at Loos.

Maybe an obvious question Roxy, but are you 100% certain he actually served and died during WW1?

There is a William Morrison Roxburgh died 1947 aged 52 and a William Roxburgh died 1990 age 93, that's only on Scotlands People, what if he survived and moved elsewhere in the UK or the World?

Sam

Thanks in anticipation,

Roxy

William was born at 16 Charlotte Street, Port Dundas, Glasgow, on 13 November 1896. His father (who married William's mum in Edinburgh the previous December) was working in a sawmill beside the Forth and Clyde Canal. The family moved back to Edinburgh in time for William to be educated at Stockbridge School.

William was born at 16 Charlotte Street, Port Dundas, Glasgow, on 13 November 1896. His father (who married William's mum in Edinburgh the previous December) was working in a sawmill beside the Forth and Clyde Canal. The family moved back to Edinburgh in time for William to be educated at Stockbridge School.

outstanding research being carried out on this subject,I hope you find what your looking for Roxy

Max

Max and Jack,

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. William is my Great Uncle. Just as well, 'cause i got Jack to sign a copy of his excellent book dedicated to William!

Now have to find out who the William is that my recently discovered rellie is talking about!

Thanks folks!

Roxy