Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.Col Lionel l Hepper R.G.A.

tony paley

Lt.Col. Hepper was the C.O. of 84 HAG/Brigade from the date of it's formation in February 1917 at Lydd until after the Armistice. My interest is that my grandfather was the WO1 of 84 HAG from the same date until his discharge in 1920, when the then styled 84 Heavy Brigade was on the Rhine. I woiuld imagine that they would have got to know each other fairly well. I do know that Lionel Lees Hepper was born in 1871 possibly at Farnham in Surrey. Any info would be welcome eg. was he ever awarded the MC. or DSO.

Tony P

Peter,

Many thanks for that, it has helped to provide some background and it explains his absence from the unit diaries in 1919. I noticed that nearly all of his contempories were awarded the DSO. Reading the diaries this seems quite justified, however for Senior NCOs it appears a different story.

Tony P

Here is his father, and his siblings;

http://www.angloboerwar.com/DSO%20pre-BW/H/hepper_aj.htm

and his son;

Taukkyan War Cemetery

Roll of Honour

HEPPER, Lieutenant, RICHARD LIONEL LEES, 240107. Royal Engineers attd. 885 Bridge Coy. Indian Engineers. 29th January 1945. Age 38. Son of Colonel Lionel Lees Hepper and Nina Ellen Hepper, of West Kensington, London. 5. E. 21.

Here is his father, and his siblings;

http://www.angloboerwar.com/DSO%20pre-BW/H/hepper_aj.htm

and his son;

Taukkyan War Cemetery

Roll of Honour

HEPPER, Lieutenant, RICHARD LIONEL LEES, 240107. Royal Engineers attd. 885 Bridge Coy. Indian Engineers. 29th January 1945. Age 38. Son of Colonel Lionel Lees Hepper and Nina Ellen Hepper, of West Kensington, London. 5. E. 21.

IPT. Thanks for this added information. Slight coincidence my Father was a WO1 RA in WW2, serving in India. Even in the unlikely event that their paths crossed both would have been unaware of the connection between the fathers.

tony P