Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrick Carlin

paulcarlin

Hi,

Once again I ma attempting to unravel my Family History. My Grandad William Carlin had a brother Patrick. The research I have uncovered places Patrick in the WW1 conflict. He never came back and I cannot find any reason for his dissappearence. All I have is "patrick never came back and was missing"? Can anyone throw any light at all on this mystery. His home address would have been Dunamanagh, Co.Tyrone, near Strabane. I have had great success researching his Brother William, my Grandad.

pc57

There is a Medal Card which might fit the mystery:

18310 Private Patrick CARLIN Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Entered theatre of War France 10.6.1915.

Deserted 27.11.1915. He may not have re-appeared to face the music.

There is another Card for the same name but this time a dual Regimental entry,showing date into War Theatre 2.5.1915 and discharge to wounds/sickness on 15.3.1917:

5144 Private 1st Connaught Rangers and later 2G/1767 Royal Irish Regiment,but his one you would know that he didn't disappear !

There are quite a few soldiers of this name,but in "mainland"units,Scottish,REngineers etc. and he could have been one of those too.

Good luck with your search.

Sotonmate

there's a Patrick Carlin from Newtonstewart. 2694 Royal Inniskillings. A 22year old tailor when he enlisted into the militia in 1908. RC. Mother Fannie; father John. Not sure that this is your man but it's the closest I can see.

There's a John Carlin from Dunamanagh living at Sion Mills who enlisted in 1898 aged 17years 6months. RC. Mother Bridget; sister Cassie. Wife Ellen; married 6/7/1908 in Strabane. 7468 Royal Inniskillings. Enlisted in regulars Jan 1903.

There is also a Patrick Carline who signed his name Patrick Carlin enlisted in Glasgow on 25th August 1914. Address given as Langfield, Tyrone. 22 years old. No 189, HLI. He was discharged medically unfit on 20th October 1914 hence no MIC. NOK recorded as Mrs James Carlin, mother, Legenvey, Drumquin, Co. Tyrone. A possible? If so maybe he never returned to Ireland.

John

pc57

There is a Medal Card which might fit the mystery:

18310 Private Patrick CARLIN Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Entered theatre of War France 10.6.1915.

Deserted 27.11.1915. He may not have re-appeared to face the music.

There is another Card for the same name but this time a dual Regimental entry,showing date into War Theatre 2.5.1915 and discharge to wounds/sickness on 15.3.1917:

5144 Private 1st Connaught Rangers and later 2G/1767 Royal Irish Regiment,but his one you would know that he didn't disappear !

There are quite a few soldiers of this name,but in "mainland"units,Scottish,REngineers etc. and he could have been one of those too.

Good luck with your search.

Sotonmate

[

Thanks Sotonmate,

Any record of NOK or a home address for either?

there's a Patrick Carlin from Newtonstewart. 2694 Royal Inniskillings. A 22year old tailor when he enlisted into the militia in 1908. RC. Mother Fannie; father John. Not sure that this is your man but it's the closest I can see.

There's a John Carlin from Dunamanagh living at Sion Mills who enlisted in 1898 aged 17years 6months. RC. Mother Bridget; sister Cassie. Wife Ellen; married 6/7/1908 in Strabane. 7468 Royal Inniskillings. Enlisted in regulars Jan 1903.

Johnny,

You mentioned a John Carlin. I believe this to be my Grand uncle. I have researched him slightly when his name cropped up, however I now feel that I need to know as much Information on him as possible. I have discovered that on his death in Bearney, Strabane, he was awarded a military funneral, so perhaps he was of importance in rank? Can you put meat on the bones of this good man and help complete the Carlin story. Address in sion Mills, medals, military record ect, or point me to where I can get these. Many thanks for your information so far.

picked up the info re John Carlin from the WW1 Pension records on Ancestry. No info about WW1 service. Lots of discipline issues in his pre war service.

His medal card shows qualifying date 23/8/1914. 1914 Star, VM and BWM. Note says TOE - Termination of Engagement? which I think means he'd done his time in the army.

picked up the info re John Carlin from the WW1 Pension records on Ancestry. No info about WW1 service. Lots of discipline issues in his pre war service.

His medal card shows qualifying date 23/8/1914. 1914 Star, VM and BWM. Note says TOE - Termination of Engagement? which I think means he'd done his time in the army.

Johnny,

Went to my local library this morning. The record of John is unbelivable. I could only print off some of it but thanks again for your expert help!

Archived