Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial Returns - info wanted

dunmore44

Does anyone know if burial returns have survived, these i beleive were used when bodies were dug up by the cwgc and exhumed to larger grave sites.

it shows how the body was identies and what possessions were found on the body.

I know that my gt uncle was found in 1921 nr Zevencote and moved to tyne cot, would like to find his return if still available

Seem to recall that a list of soldiers personel effects were held at the National Army Museum. I believe that there was a charge to find out what was held. Check if his service papers still exist as some of the servicemen that i am researching have a list of effects that were recovered fromm there bodies.

Izzy, can I just clarify, were the list of possessions for your men in their service documents, rather than in the Soldiers’ Effects Records held by NAM?

I ask because the NAM website suggests that their records do not give details of personal possessions of dead servicemen, but do give details of monies paid to named relatives of dead servicemen (transcripts available for £10).

Either way, thanks for the steer as I shall be contacting them about a couple of my relatives!

Thanks

Martin

The list of effects were in the Servicemans papers. Although i have a few sets of Service Papers and not all have a list of personel effects. Seems i might have given you dodgy info regarding the NAM as i thought it was a list of possesions rather than Monies paid to familys. If you have access to Ancestry check out the service papers for Arthur Samuel Elliot, Kings Liverpool Regt his papers list the following under effects although it does not mention if they were found on his body or left with his Kit. the effects are.

1/ 1 Cap Badge.

2/Leather Pocker Case

3/Packet of Correspondence and Photos

Hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks for the clarification Izzy. I'm going to contact NAM anyway to see if my relatives are mentioned in their 'Soldiers effects records'.

Martin