Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal winner

archangel9

Hi,

Any way to identify this man? Long shot I know. He appears to have the ribbons for the MM and trio. A Sergeant Instructor of Musketry perhaps? The shoulder title looks like **R? The picture was taken in Bombay and seems to be post war. Signed Yours Sincerely Harry.

Cheers

John

post-38480-1272122444.jpg

Not impossible but probably time consuming. My first thoughts are regular battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps, taken about 1920 or later. It should be relatively easy to work out which battalion was in India at this period. Probably a few soldiers called Harry or Harold won the MM with the KRRC and probably even fewer stayed in after the Great War.

My second thought is that given your location it could be Royal Irish Rifles; both the KRR and the RIR would have had blackened shoulder titles. If it is RIR it should be slightly easier to find a MM winner called Harry.

This man is a possibility:

Medal card of Harris, Harry Frank Beaconsfield

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Irish Rifles 15/432189 Company Quarter Master Serjeant

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

I have checked the DCM book and he is not in it. I haven't downloaded the MIC but he could possibly be a MM winner.

HW,

I didn't pick up the photo in Ireland, it came over from the North of England with a few others of Yorkshire men, so your initial thought "King's Royal Rifle Corps" might be more likely.

A search for "Harry", "King's Royal Rifle Corps" and "Serjeant" returns only one possible -

Medal card of Lockwood, Harry

Corps Regiment No Rank

King's Royal Rifle Corps R/11060 Lance Serjeant

?

John

60 Harolds though

But only 1 in WO 372/23 -

Medal card of Smart, Harold Willett

Corps Regiment No Rank

King's Royal Rifle Corps 505206 Serjeant

John

Another possible;

7424 Sjt Harry Blackburn MM 2/K.R.R.C

Yes a possible.

John

Oh I see.

So my Blackburn not a contender then.

He is definitely a contender.

Cheers

John

And here we have Sjt Blackburns MM & 1914 Trio.

Fantastic John!!

Do you have a picture of Sjt Blackburn for comparison? Also do you know if he continued in the service after the war?

Cheers

John

Medal card of Smart, Harold Willett

Corps Regiment No Rank

King's Royal Rifle Corps 505206 Serjeant

Looks like 505206 Smart can be counted out as he has a SWB entry on his MIC.

John

Thanks IPT.

".....but by the middle of 1919 the battalions had returned, the 1st and 2nd to England, the 3rd and 4th, after re-form­ing at home, sailing to India........

At the end of 1922 the Army Council decided to disband the 3rd and 4th Battalions of both the 60th and the Rifle Brigade, a serious blow to both regiments. They had been nearly seventy years in existence. Our 1st Battalion was ordered to India and took over details from the 3rd and 4th Battalions at Quetta."

If he is KRRC (and it would be great to know for sure if possible?) then he would have been 3rd or 4th 1919 to 1922, or 1st post 1922.

John

Quetta is a long way from Bombay!

John