Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

where do you get absent voter lists from?

superposh

Hi

As above really. I am interested in 2 brothers one who served in KOYLI (lived in Darfield near Barnsley) and one in Northants reg lived in Gretton, northants. And wondered where to find absent voter lists and also when the elections were 1918 i presume?

Ta

Hello Superposh, AVL coverage is now a bit patchy, but I suggest you start with the local county records office for Barnsley:

http://www.ancestor-search.info/CRO-Yorkshire-South.htm

CONTACT

Address Barnsley Archives and Local Studies Department, Barnsley Central Library, Shambles Street, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S70 2JF

Telephone (01226) 773950

E-Mail Archives@barnsley.gov.uk

And for Northampton:

http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/coun...es/default.aspx

Records Office

Wootton Hall Park

Northampton

NN4 8BQ

01604 762129

Hopefully they will be able to help you or point you in the right direction (if the lists still exist).

Martin

I have a copy of the gretton section of the AVL. Who do you need to find?

These are the Gretton men shown in the Northamptonshire Regiment:

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1102, Armitage, Valentine Leathley, Address: Gretton, Rank: Lt, Unit: Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1110, Coleman, Arthur, Address: Gretton, No. 16002, Unit: 5th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1111, Coleman, Elijah, Address: Gretton, No. 14787, Unit: 7th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1112, Coleman, John Henry, Address: Gretton, No. 16259, Unit: 5th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1120, Jinks, Cornelius, Address: Gretton, No. 15255, Pte., Unit: 6th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1126, Northern, Stanley, Address: Gretton, No. 14847, L/Cpl., Unit: 7th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1127, Palmer, George Albert, Gretton, No. 15914, Pte., Unit: 7th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1133, Spendlove, Bertrand, Gretton, No. 23959, Unit: 6th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1136, Spendlove, Leonard, Address: Gretton, No. 15937, Cpl, Hunit: 7th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1140, Tee-Boon, George, Address: Gretton, No. 15864, Pte., Unit: 5th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1145, Villette, Leonard, Address: Gretton, No. 31142, Pte., Unit: 7th Northamptons

Page 634, Peterborough District, Gretton Parish, Ref No. 1152, Whymant, William, Address: Gretton, No. 15963, L/Cpl., Unit: 6th Northamptons

If you let us know who you are looking at I will see if I have any information. If your man was under 21 or discharged/killed before 1918 then he will not be on the AVL, by the way.

Would it be Arthur Burnham's brother you are looking for? If so, there seems to be no Burnham mentioned....

I don't have the Uppingham AVL where the family was living in 1911. Rutland and the Great War shows two Burnhams from Uppingham who served - Samuel Leonard & William O., but not Herbert and Edward who I assume are Arthur's brothers. The list of Uppingham men who served does not have any other details.

Steve.

As said earlier they are patchy, the ones for Wakefield are very detailed. the ones for Batley are just marked with "A" or "N" for army or navy, and they are on the full electoral registers hels in Batley Library.

My grandad came from Darfield but I have found his service record.

Cheers Roger.

Superposh

Polling day was 14 December 1918.

Regards

Mark

Thank you all for your informative and prompt replies!

Herbert Burnham was discharged in 1917 - and Arthur was discharged sick on 14/12/18 so who knows about him! But i shall try and find out.

thanks again

Hoping I've got the right man:

15871 Herbert Burnham enlisted into the 7th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment on 7 September 1914 and embarked to France on 1 September 1915 with the main contingent of the 7th battalion as part of "A" Company. He was reported as Wounded as a Private with 7th Bn. per the Times of 26-10-1915 which is consistent with being wounded during the battle of Loos. He was discharged under King's Regulations paragraph 392 xvi (due to wounds) on 13-9-1917. SWB List K/874 notes that he was issued Silver War Badge No. 131222. Whilst the wounding in September 1915 at Loos could be the cause of his discharge, the wounding seems a long time before the discharge so he may have been wounded again in 1916 perhaps.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
Hoping I've got the right man:

15871 Herbert Burnham enlisted into the 7th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment on 7 September 1914 and embarked to France on 1 September 1915 with the main contingent of the 7th battalion as part of "A" Company. He was reported as Wounded as a Private with 7th Bn. per the Times of 26-10-1915 which is consistent with being wounded during the battle of Loos. He was discharged under King's Regulations paragraph 392 xvi (due to wounds) on 13-9-1917. SWB List K/874 notes that he was issued Silver War Badge No. 131222. Whilst the wounding in September 1915 at Loos could be the cause of his discharge, the wounding seems a long time before the discharge so he may have been wounded again in 1916 perhaps.

Steve.

Wow Yes that's him!! Thank you. I'm so sorry about late response I have only just seen this reply.

A lot of that fits in with my own 'research' and speculation but adds a load more too. Thanks again. This site is great.