Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notts and Derbys TF

Steve Bramley

Hi,

I have what appears to be a large draft of men transferred from the Sherwoods to the 2/5th Lincolns, several of whom lost their lives on 15/4/18. Their N&D service numbers were of six digits prefixed 107.

Does anyone have any idea which Battalion these men could have been from?

Regards,

Steve.

2/7th and 2/8th Sherwoods were in the same division (59th) as 2/5th Lincs, and 2/7th was absorbed mainly by 1/7th, while 2/8th was disbanded in France in Feb 1918. 2/5th Sherwoods certainly had a number of these 107*** men killed (same div again). So the disbanded battalions are potentially perhaps one source.

SDGW shows first 107*** man to die was on 13/04/18, and he belonged to 2/5th. Their history reports drafts of 400 men arriving in the early days of the month, so these could well be the 107*** men (based solely on date of first death, plus the fact that if the Bn had 107*** men prior to April, they had avoided death although the Bn needed 400 replacements) and some could have been diverted direct to the Lincs battalion. 2/5th Lincs war diary also records 1st to the 4th April 1918, "Drafts were constantly received during this period" So perhaps the "reinforcement shuffle" is a potential second source.

SDGW shows other 107*** men who died were with 1st (8), 2nd (2), 1/5 (1), 2/5 (5), 1/6 (1), 2/6 (1), 1/8 (1), 9th (1) and 10th (14) battalions. Perm any one from 9! :D

Perhaps a MIC check on one of these men would give you a date of entry, as these men do seem to be replacements arriving due to March 1918 losses?

Thanks Greenwoodman,

I'm sure you are correct here.

The Sherwood men it would appear were given their 107*** numbers alphabetically and the same applies to their 2/5th Lincolnshire numbers. The vast majority of those who died on the 15/4/18 were only 18 or 19 years old and i suspect that this was their first action.

There were also small 'drafts' from several other regiments, but there does appear to be an en bloc draft from the Sherwoods 107*** men renumbered between about 51650 and 51900. There were also smaller groups from the Staffs and Leices, who were in the same division.

I haven't researched these men in any detail as yet but was filling in some gaps in my database. You have confirmed some of my suspicions i think, theirs i suspect will be an interesting story.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

One of these lads appears in my Stamford research, have a little bit on him which might help.

Pte Ernest Hudson. 51790, 2nd Lincs, formerly 107276 Notts & Jocks (per MIC)

Born May 1899.

Enlisted/Conscripted-20 Jun 1917.

To France-March 1918?

Transferred Lincs-2 Apr 1918

My source (R&TGW) shows him as 51st Batt, Sherwood Foresters.

Jim