Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROD RE

wainfleet

I have acquired a patt. 1903 belt named to 194135 Cpl. Thomas Eves, "ROD RE". I have no idea what ROD means and would be grateful if anyone can tell me. I don't think I'm supposed to post his MIC here, but the information on it is that he had both the above number and WR/259146, and that he was entitled to War and Victory, both located on roll RE/102 B 71, page 13954. No theatre of war or qualifying date given.

Thanks in advance,

W.

Hello Wainfleet

It was the Railway Operating Division (or possibly Department - I have seen both), the part of the RE Transportation Service which actually ran the British Army's trains in France and Flanders.

The WR prefix to his service number denotes Waterways and Railways.

Ron

PS Terry just beat me to it!

Hello Wainfleet

It was the Railway Operating Division (or possibly Department - I have seen both), the part of the RE Transportation Service which actually ran the British Army's trains in France and Flanders.

The WR prefix to his service number denotes Waterways and Railways.

Ron

PS Terry just beat me to it!

I think both are correct one title preceded the other. They also ran trains in Egypt and Palestine

A volume has recently been published by Bill Aves - called "ROD" it looks at the operations of the ROD - though I know nothing more about it at present.