Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regt. 31/3/1918

nemesis-4u

Hi There,

Just wondering can anyone help with this one?

I am looking for information to do with what the Royal Warwickshire Regiment was doing on or around the 31st March 1918 around the area of Arras in France. :poppy:

Any information or pointers would be of great help at this stage.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Chris Neale.

Which of the 15 fighting bns on the Western Front?

March 29 1918. 1st Bn front line from river (Scarpe?) on left to Pelves Lane on right. One Coy in Battery Valley. Bn HQ in Railway Triangle

March 30. To take Indian and Iceland Trenches

March 31. There is no artillery barrage. The Germans only stand by in case of SOS. A,C and D Coys all reach their objective but B Coy is held up by heavy MG fire from gunpits in H27D. They have to withdraw causing D Coy to come back also but in its original line. A and C Coys both hold their objectives but the right flank of the latter Coy is very dangerous. They are rifle grenaded by the enemy and at about 8 a.m. are compelled to come back along the the southern side of the railway and take up a position in their original line keeping in touch with A Coy on its left. Our casualties are 2nd Lt Preedy killed, Lt C J Gittings and 2nd Lt P.M Carpendale wounded and about 25 OR killed and wounded. Weather improves during the day and the sun comes out. There is a considerable amount of shelling (5.9s and 4.2s) round Bn HQ in the Railway Cutting during the day. B Coy who are in support in Battery Valley relieve C Coy. Wet night.

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for that....Great Stuff :thumbsup:

Would it be possible to find out who the

and about 25 OR killed and wounded
were?

I know normally it is only Officers who are named or maybe the odd Sgt. etc leading parties but it would be interesting to know how to go about researching the other chaps!

I will see if I can find a trench map of that time as well just to give me a better idea of the lay of the land.

Thanks again Alan for taking the time.

ATB,

Chris Neale.

Thanks also to Wainfleet for the following information:

According to the Long Long Trail website, only the 1st, 2/6th, 2/7th and 10th battalions were in France in March 1918, with the 4th, 61st, 61st again and 19th Divisions respectively. The 4th Division took part in the First Battle of Arras 1918, whilst the 61st and 19th aren't shown as having been involved. For all I know they may have been in that area, but the 1st battalion is looking a likely contender.

Regards, W.

That gives me more to have a look at if the 1st Bn. reference I supplied is incorrect.

Thanks again and Regards.

Chris Neale

1st Bn deaths on March 31/April 1 1918. CWGC + SDGW. War Diary figures are often unreliable. What is your interest BTW. 13 names

Rank FOR SUR Unit text Date of death Service no Age Cemetery

Private (Lewis machine gunner) ARTHUR WILLIAM JACKSON 1st Bn. 31/03/1918 9628 26 ARRAS MEMORIAL

Private WALTER HENRY NEALE 1st Bn. 31/03/1918 3388 35 ARRAS MEMORIAL

Corporal THOMAS HEALY BATES 1st Bn. 31/03/1918 9074 27 CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

Private LEWIS NEWTH 1st Bn. 31/03/1918 27975 21 CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

Private JONATHAN SOUTHAM 1st Bn. 31/03/1918 28690 0 CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

Private THOMAS MORRIS USHER 1st Bn. 31/03/1918 1998 0 CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

Serjeant EDWARD WEDGE 1st Bn. 31/03/1918 130 31 CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

Private WALTER JOHN CHARNELL 1st Bn. 01/04/1918 20716 37 ARRAS MEMORIAL

Corporal JAMES DAVIDSON 1st Bn. 01/04/1918 33065 0 ARRAS MEMORIAL

Private WILLIAM HILL 1st Bn. 01/04/1918 34165 0 ARRAS MEMORIAL

Private CHARLES HENRY JONES 1st Bn. 01/04/1918 27933 0 ARRAS MEMORIAL

Second Lieutenant NUGENT ARTHUR KINGSTON 1st Bn. 01/04/1918 0 CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

Private ALFRED ERNEST FOX 1st Bn. 01/04/1918 5219 26 TILLOY BRITISH CEMETERY, TILLOY-LES-MOFFLAINES

Chris

Here is a trench map showing the Railway Triangle (easy to spot) and Battery Valley running through H20d to H27c.

post-42671-1272193493.jpg

Roger

Hi Alan and Roger,

Excellent stuff, thank you for the map which really improves my understanding of what was going on in that area.

I also see that there was a Neale family member KIA along with the other chaps around the 31/3/1918, which from my point of view is great to learn of.

Thanks Gents for your help with this wee Topic. ;)

Regards,

Chris Neale.

Private WALTER HENRY NEALE 1st Bn. 31/03/1918 3388 35 ARRAS MEMORIAL

Was this man the objective of your research if so i have more info on him he was local to Coventry. Would you have a photo of him as I have not come across one

Thanks

Hi There,

I was interested in the events of that period as I was aware that Walter Neale was reported as being KIA around that time but that is all I knew until I asked about it in this topic.

Sadly I do not have a photo of him as yet to go along with what other members have kindly added. But if I find one I will drop you a copy.

I would be interested to hear/know about the other information that you have found if you dont mind.

Thanks again for the contact.

Reagrds,

Chris Neale.