Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queries regarding the medal rolls

Tuntun

Evening all, I've been researching a number of my relatives and have a couple of general questions regarding the medal rolls.

Firstly, many of the soldiers have entries in the "remarks" column of the rolls such as Killed in Action, to reserve (with date), disembodied etc which are all self explanatory. However, many of the soldiers just have the phrase "Infantry Base Depot", including some who were killed in the war and hence before the rolls were completed.

My first question is what, if any, significance does the phrase "Infantry Base Depot" have?

Secondly, whilst many of the rolls have pages which might record seven or eight men some have just one or two with the rest of the space wasted with repetitive mentions of the battalion or regiment. For example:

291381 Pte BANN William Ches R Pte 4037

7 Ches R

7 Ches R

7 Ches R

7 Ches R 291381

Ches R

7 Ches R

7 Ches R

7 Ches R

7 Ches R

7 Ches R

Whilst two of the entries clearly relate to his TF numbers "before and after" what, if any, significance have the additional and seemingly pointless lines?

Many Thanks

Martin

Hi Tuntun

As far as I'm aware each entry counts as a distinct period of service so he would have left the Battalion on several occasions,probably because of sickness or wounds.

The reference to Infantry Base Depot may be as the administrative place discharged from, relevant to those killed as they obviously did not return to their Regiment. There is a thread recently which mentions a similar point in connection with the Silver War Badge Lists.

Peridot

Peridot, Mike, thanks for the info, those repetitions are not pointless after all! William Bann's records do not survive to cross reference with the medal rolls but he must have been in and out of hospital (or other/both) a fair bit.

Thanks

Martin