Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can any one help me?

sammiejayne16

i was wondering if it would be possible to find out more about my Great, Great Uncle Walter who served in the first world war.

His Full Name is Walter Edward Rogers and he was a Serjeant , 604022, in the 2nd/ 1st (Shropshire) BDE Royal Horse Artillery

He Died aged 24 on Thursday 23rd august 1917

he was the son of James and Sarah Elizabeth Rogers of Upton Magna, Salop and the Husband of Emily Rogers, of 8, Moreton Cottages, Belle Vu Shrewsbury.

I am also aware that he won the MM, the British war medal and the victory medal.

I am keen to find out as much information as I can on my Great, Great Uncle, I am a keen historian but am finding it extremely hard to gain any information and i was wondering if you could help.

unfortunately my family no longer has access to any photo of Walter and I am extremely eager to find one as i feel this would important when i take my trip to the Coxyde Cemetery, Belguim where he is buried in July.

I have no idea where he was stationed, who his commanding officiers were or how he died but i would love to find this out.

I have put a picture of his parents' grave where he is mentioned.

Any help any of you can offer would be extremely grateful im sorry you must get messages just like this all the time but i don't know where else to look now as everyone i email never seems to reply

I really hope you can help me with my search,

thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Sammie,

Have you tried the Shropshire Regimental Museum at the Castle? I think in the Shrewsbury Archives there are items relating to the Shropshire Horse Artillery.

If you go there, they have an index to what records they hold- it may be worth a look.

SteveJ.

Hello Sammiejayne and welcome to the forum.

Try taking a look in the Units and Formations section, there is quite a bit of info The KSLI, Annetee Burgoyne might be able to point you in the right direction, or SHROPSHIREMAD has an excellent wesite (shropshirewarmemorials.org.uk) you could try if he is mentioned on a Shropshire Memorial.

I have just taken a quick look in 'Soldiers Died KSLI' and I can't find a Walter Rogers, so he probably wasn't with the Battalion when he fell.

Sorry I can't be anymore help, but someone on here will be!

Toodle-pip.

Wes

I've just found this Sammie-

Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery Museum Trust

58 Priory Ridge

Shrewsbury

Shropshire

SY3 9EQ

Plus this book-

Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery, 1912-1918, and Shropshire gunners in the trenches, 1916-1919.

by Arthur Allwood

But the Shropshire Archives would be the best bet, and the Museum at Shrewsbury Castle does cover the Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery.

SteveJ.

I would try and identify if there was a weekly (or small circulation local daily) near his place of residence. If you can find such a paper, try hunting the 'local studies' sections in the relevant county or town libraries. He may (just may) have had his picture taken and these often appeared in the newspapers of the period in association with articles about local soldiers at war,

Des

His Military Medal (M.M.) was announced as awarded in the London Gazette of 21 August 1917. There was usually a delay between the deed for which the medal was awarded and the announcement - often 2 to 4 months.

See:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/302...upplements/8646

No citations were published in the London Gazette for Military Medals - again, the local newspapers are often the best bet for a description.

Steve.

Hello Sammiejayne and welcome to the forum.

Try taking a look in the Units and Formations section, there is quite a bit of info The KSLI, Annetee Burgoyne might be able to point you in the right direction, or SHROPSHIREMAD has an excellent wesite (shropshirewarmemorials.org.uk) you could try if he is mentioned on a Shropshire Memorial.

I have just taken a quick look in 'Soldiers Died KSLI' and I can't find a Walter Rogers, so he probably wasn't with the Battalion when he fell.

Sorry I can't be anymore help, but someone on here will be!

Toodle-pip.

Wes

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the link. But Samantha contacted me yesterday through the website. It's been a busy time on there :)

Steve,

Nice one i tried and failed to find the gazette issue.

Samantha,

Hello once more.

I'm affraid i do not know of any Shropshire RHA experts here on the forum. As Wes mentioned there is Annette but she is KSLI, not RHA. SteveJ idea of contacting the museum is a good bet. Although in my experience they have not been helpful.

Neil

Hello again Sammiejayne.

Unfortunately I must concur with Neil, the Regimental museum are not purposfully unhelpful, they just have no info, so they say.

Wes.

Ralph could i ask for a website on that please

Soldiers Died has him as being born and enlisting Shrewsbury and died of wounds. Ralph.

Hey Again Neil,

thank you again

did you get my lastest email?

Sammie

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the link. But Samantha contacted me yesterday through the website. It's been a busy time on there :)

Steve,

Nice one i tried and failed to find the gazette issue.

Samantha,

Hello once more.

I'm affraid i do not know of any Shropshire RHA experts here on the forum. As Wes mentioned there is Annette but she is KSLI, not RHA. SteveJ idea of contacting the museum is a good bet. Although in my experience they have not been helpful.

Neil

Sammie. Afraid not on a website, it is a CD rom, cost nowadays about £400 I think, if you want a copy of the certificate that can be printed off bearing his name etc let me have your name/address and I will print one off for you. Ralph.

Ok Thank you very much, is there a private way of doing that or should i post it on here ? sorry I'm new to all of this Sammie

Have you got an email address and i will send it via that if thats ok? id be very grateful to recieve it, would you like anything for sending it?

Samantha i'll email it over to you. And yes i did get your last email.

Neil

Thank you very Much SteveJ, KSLI Wes, Desmond7, stebie9173 and steve morse :D

thank you very much Shropshire Mad Much Appreciated

Sammie