Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Revell LAUDER

Stephen Nulty

I am looking into the history of the above, who served as Private with the South Lancs then later as a 2nd Lt with the Monmouths. He survived the war, and there is a family rumour that he was awarded the MBE, but no details of when or why.

I can't find anything in the Times or LG and would be grateful if anybody who is better at searching those records could see if they can turn anyhting up.

Stephen

London Gazette #37835, 1st January 1947. Link to the Gazette is here.... http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37835/supplements/16

To be Members of the Civil Division of the said Most Excellent Order:—

William Revell LAUDER, Esq. For services to the wounded in Liverpool.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Great find, many thanks. As always with LG, I ask myself "How did I miss that?"

:-)

Great find, many thanks. As always with LG, I ask myself "How did I miss that?

No problems.

It's another quirk of the search engine, Search for "William Revell Lauder" and you won't find him, search for "Revell Lauder" and you will. Has something to do with the way the search engine sees the 'full stop' on the previous line and how it tries to tag it all onto one line.

The preview of the search shows it up as "Charities in Scotland.William Revell Lauder" with the line above being joined on to William's entry and with no spacings. You've no chance of knowing what the previous line might say when searching so I tend to search for the middle or latter parts of the name.

Regards

Steve

Stephen

You are probably ahead of me, but I expect you will be looking at the LDP - in those days there was usually quite a bit of background about those honoured in the New Year List.

D

Steve - thanks for the tip, that's really useful to know.

Daggers - sadly, I don't have much time to head for LDP and my best bet is to head for Huyton to see what the Reporter holds on him.

Again, I'll keep you posted on any progress. I aim to update the web site within a week or so with what I manage to come across.