Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two German Brothers

DavoT

Good evening all,

I recently added this undated post card to my collection. Heinrich and Emiel Bichters/z are the two soldiers named on the rear. I wonder if they survived? Some nice uniform detail too.

Cheers,

David

post-27290-1272019621.jpg

Nice photo, David.

Is there a photographer's name/address on the back? And can you post a scan of the boys' names?

Adrian

Hi David,

There are no 'Bichters' or 'Bichterz' on the Kriegsgräberfürsorge website ;o(

One entry for 'Bichter' >> Hermann Bichter (b.11.01.1886), buried at Azannes

Peter

Adrian and Peter,

thanks for your replies. I'll attempt to scan and post the rear of the post card. Not too flash on getting the size down.

Cheers,

David

Almost certainly RICHTERS, David.

The photographer/printer was in Lehe an der Weser, which is a suburb of Bremerhaven.

There's an Emil and a Heinrich Richters on volksbund, but nothing to link them with Bremerhaven.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Sometimes the different styles of writing can be a bit deceptive with the flow. Maybe they decided to get a photo done where they were as they might not have had another chance. Maybe we'll never know. It was a nice photo, that's why I got it.

Cheers,

David

Hello David,

From the Kriegsgräberfürsorge website:

Emil RICHTERS __________ Rank: Musketier ________ missing/dead 31.07.1918 _____ buried at Proyart

Heinrich RICHTERS _______ Rank: Oberleutnant _____ missing/dead 29.12.1914 _____ buried at Berlin

... unfortunately no further information. From a total of nine 'Richters' from WW1

Peter

Heinrich RICHTERS _______ Rank: Oberleutnant _____ missing/dead 29.12.1914 _____ buried at Berlin

This may well be the Oblt. Richters listed in the 1914 Rangliste; Landwehrbezirk Erfurt, 1. Aufgebote, Kavallerie.

Peter and Ken,

many thanks for this. It is all slowly coming together considering it started out as a photo. As Heinrich died in late 1914 the photo may have been taken not long after the war started. As it states he was buried in Berlin this could indicate that he died of wounds?

Cheers,

David :thumbsup: