Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI, 8th Battalion.

wesleycrabb

Hello All,

I am trying to compile information on the names of the fallen on my local War Memorial, which is in the village of Hodnet in North Shropshire.

One of the men named is POWELL, Philip Keith.

I know that he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the KING'S OWN YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY, 8th Battalion, when he fell.

He was Killed In Action on 7 June 1916, aged 22 years, and is remembered on the Ypres Memorial (Menin Gate)

This is all the information I currently have.

If anyone can supply me with any additional information I would be most grateful.

If anyone would like info of any of the fallen they think might be on the Hodnet Memorial then I would be only too happy to share what I have.

Many Thanks in advance

Toodle-pip

Wes.

Wes. 1901 Census :- son of William H and Eleanor B Powell, father was a farmer, lived White House Farm, age 5 in 1901 and born Hodnet, birth registered March quarter of 1896 Market Drayton, he would seem to have been in his 22nd year when he was killed. Ralph.

Hello All.

I have just been up to the churchyard and, purely by chance, met this chap's great-nephew!

He has told me that he has some info on Philip Keith which he will copy for me.

Unbelievable!

Toodle-pip

Wes

Wes, I'll e-mail you the names of a few chaps I'm researching. Hopefully you'll find one of their relatives when you're at Asda or something :lol:

Here is some info from the Regiment history :-

"In the first days of June , the camp near Ouderdom, the 8/K.O.Y.L.I moved up to battalion concentration area for the Messines offensive.

The 70th Inf. Bde was allotted the part of pivot brigade on the extreme left of X Corps. The directions issued to the brigade were, to bring its right shoulder up til its lineshould be facing north-east, and to form a defensive flank for the general line of operations.

There were five days of bombardment prior to the attack. Mines at Hill 60 and the Caterpillar were fired at 'Zero' hour and were the signal for the assault.

The 8/K.O.Y.L.I was right support battalion of the brigade, with orders to capture and consolidate the second objective. The first objective was Image trench and part of Illusive trench in the enemy's front line, the second being Image crescent.

The 8/K.O.Y.L.I moved in rear along a tunnel towards Hedge street., with 'B' Company in advance. This company was responsible for seeing that the front line was fairly clear before the battalion emerged from the Winnipeg exit. The battalion then moved down the front line trench into Living trench, where it came in touch with the 8/Y and L. Two hours after 'Zero', 'B' and 'A' comapnies advanced in line of sections in file to their assembly positions in Image reserve, followed by 'C' company.

Three hours and forty minutes after 'Zero' the battalion advanced to capture its objectives. When that was succesfully accomplished Image crescent was consolidated under the protection of the Lewis-guns, while bombing parties were immediately pushed forward up the communicating trenches. The 8/Y and L combined in the attack.

From June 8-10 the battalion remained in the front line trenches. It was relieved on the night of the 10th and proceeded to camp near Meteren til the night of the 27th, when it went back into the front line again.

In the four days June 7-10th the battalion had 250 casualties in other ranks, and of its Officers 2/Lt's PK POWELL and J F Hall were killed or died of wounds, while 2/Lt's C Fawcett, G A Holmes, I D P Stephens and G W Franks were wounded."

Neil

Hello All.

Neil,

Many thanks for the information, I will be able to trace in which area he fell now.

I will also pass it on to Philip Keith's great-nephew, if that is OK.

I spoke to my mum yesterday evening and told her whom I had been talikng to, and she said "Oh yes, I used to go up to their farm when I was a little girl and play with his sisters".

Amazing!

Toodle-pip.

Wes.

"Neil,

Many thanks for the information, I will be able to trace in which area he fell now.

I will also pass it on to Philip Keith's great-nephew, if that is OK."

No problem Wes.

Neil

Wes, I'll e-mail you the names of a few chaps I'm researching. Hopefully you'll find one of their relatives when you're at Asda or something :lol:

Here is some info from the Regiment history :-

"In the first days of June , the camp near Ouderdom, the 8/K.O.Y.L.I moved up to battalion concentration area for the Messines offensive.

The 70th Inf. Bde was allotted the part of pivot brigade on the extreme left of X Corps. The directions issued to the brigade were, to bring its right shoulder up til its lineshould be facing north-east, and to form a defensive flank for the general line of operations.

There were five days of bombardment prior to the attack. Mines at Hill 60 and the Caterpillar were fired at 'Zero' hour and were the signal for the assault.

The 8/K.O.Y.L.I was right support battalion of the brigade, with orders to capture and consolidate the second objective. The first objective was Image trench and part of Illusive trench in the enemy's front line, the second being Image crescent.

The 8/K.O.Y.L.I moved in rear along a tunnel towards Hedge street., with 'B' Company in advance. This company was responsible for seeing that the front line was fairly clear before the battalion emerged from the Winnipeg exit. The battalion then moved down the front line trench into Living trench, where it came in touch with the 8/Y and L. Two hours after 'Zero', 'B' and 'A' comapnies advanced in line of sections in file to their assembly positions in Image reserve, followed by 'C' company.

Three hours and forty minutes after 'Zero' the battalion advanced to capture its objectives. When that was succesfully accomplished Image crescent was consolidated under the protection of the Lewis-guns, while bombing parties were immediately pushed forward up the communicating trenches. The 8/Y and L combined in the attack.

From June 8-10 the battalion remained in the front line trenches. It was relieved on the night of the 10th and proceeded to camp near Meteren til the night of the 27th, when it went back into the front line again.

In the four days June 7-10th the battalion had 250 casualties in other ranks, and of its Officers 2/Lt's PK POWELL and J F Hall were killed or died of wounds, while 2/Lt's C Fawcett, G A Holmes, I D P Stephens and G W Franks were wounded."

Neil

Hi, I am interested in researching 7th Battalion KOYLI. Could you tell me where you got this info so I might be able to find something about their war service please!

Thanks

Martin