Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Motor Transport Companies

basiloxford

Hello everyone,

I'm researching a Pte Ernest Wright, M2/131588, who served with the M.T.C during the Great War.

His record on the CWGC website gives his unit text as; III Corps H.Q.M.T. Coy, Army Service Corps.

So-far i've been unable to find him on the SDGW, and his obituary in the local press only gives his unit at M.T.C, army service corps.

Has anyone got any suggestions or thoughts on how i can find out exactly which unit he served with? and possible war diaries?

It appears from his obituary, that he had spent three years in Mesopotamia, before his death in November 1918.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Barry.

Name: WRIGHT

Initials: E J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Army Service Corps

Unit Text: III Corps H.Q.M.T. Coy. (?)

Date of Death: 22/11/1918

Service No: M2/131588

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Wright; husband of Ethel Maude Batram (formerly Wright), of Northfield Cottages, Watereaton, Kidlington, Oxon.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. F. 3.

Cemetery: BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY

I am not sure where the ref to III Corps comes from as it is my understanding that they were serving on the Western Front and not in Mesopotamia

See Annex R (pages 359/360) in Col Michael Young's history 'ASC 1902-1918' [iSBN 085052 730 9] for a list of the MT Companies serving as Army Troops in Mesopotamia, Iraq and North Persia. They have files at the NA, Kew, under refs WO95/5003, 5004, 5005, 5006, 5007 & 5008. I cannot see an HQMT Coy., however you might start with WO95/5008 as it covers the GHQ Reserve MT Companies, which sounds pretty close. Sorry not to be of more specific help

Good luck

Michael

Hello Barry and Michael

III Corps of the British Army did indeed serve in France and Belgium throughout the War, but III Indian Corps, known at its formation as the Tigris Corps, served in Mesopotamia.

There does not appear to be a separate War Diary for an MT company listed among III Indian Corps Troops.

Ron

Thank you both for the info.

I think that knowing he was in the M.T.C, and that he served in Mesopotamia (Iraq),

will have to do.

Thanks again,

Barry.