Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion Rifle Brigade Ypres July 1915

galloway1

I am researching details of Rifleman Stanley M Davenport, kia 30th July 1915. Can anyone advise of specific action the 8th Battalion was engaged in on the 30th July 1915?

thanks

David

David,

Try a Forum Search using the terms "Hooge" "Liquid Fire" "Rifle Brigade". Everything you need to know will emerge as this has been extensively covered here on the Forum.

Cheers,

Mark

David

Nigel Cave's book on Sanctuary Wood and Hooge in the Battleground Europe series includes a description of the events on that date. Salient Points Four by Tony Spagnoly and Ted Smith also includes a Cameo on the attacks. you can often pick these book up at a discount!

If you are thinking of visiting the area or want an armchair stroll then try this post:

http://ypres1917.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=702

By searching that forum as well, you will find out quite a lot of information as well as copies of Trench Maps and photos both modern and from the WW1 era.

Bernard

David

Thanks for the advice

David

Nigel Cave's book on Sanctuary Wood and Hooge in the Battleground Europe series includes a description of the events on that date. Salient Points Four by Tony Spagnoly and Ted Smith also includes a Cameo on the attacks. you can often pick these book up at a discount!

If you are thinking of visiting the area or want an armchair stroll then try this post:

http://ypres1917.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=702

By searching that forum as well, you will find out quite a lot of information as well as copies of Trench Maps and photos both modern and from the WW1 era.

Bernard

David,

Try a Forum Search using the terms "Hooge" "Liquid Fire" "Rifle Brigade". Everything you need to know will emerge as this has been extensively covered here on the Forum.

Cheers,

Mark

thanks Mark, I'll give it a go

David,

Can I ask your interest in Stanley firstly. He was in "C" Company which was to the right of the crater and the Company that suffered the heaviest casualties of the initial attack and the Company that adjoined the 7th KRRC on the right of the 8th RB, with one platoon in Reserve.

Andy

Andy,

This is a quote from David's first ever GWF post:

hello, my name is David Galloway and I am currently carrying out research on the servicemen listed on the Prestwich Roll of Honour with a view to publishing a local interest book.

Of course, there's no saying whether this is true in Stanley Davenport's case.

Cheers,

Mark