Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

Guest shiz

Does anyone have any info plz? Im researching my gr.grandad Private Fenwick White, number 28/306, either 28th or 31st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. He was killed in action 01/07/1916 at the Somme.

Any info would be much appreciated! (I have his medal record card).

Thank you! :)

CWGC shows 19th Bn. However, Ancestry.com shows "UK Soldiers Died in the Great War" that he was 16th Bn.

Are you sure you have the correct MIC?, the one I found shows 16th Bn.

Chris

FRom CWGC:

Casualty Details

Name: WHITE, FENWICK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 28/306

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 B 11 B and 12 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

I see from the RootsChat thread from last month that I found when doing a Google search on Fenwick that you already have the above information. :blink:

Chris

Sadly can't add any more to this apart from he enlisted into the 28th(Reserve)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers sometime in late 1915 and was then posted to the 16th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers with whom he died in July 1916.

Sadly can't add any more to this apart from he enlisted into the 28th(Reserve)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers sometime in late 1915 and was then posted to the 16th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers with whom he died in July 1916.

Then given the CWGC above, we most likely have a transcription error with the Battalion--perhaps something for Terry D. to check on?

Chris

Chris - quite possibly an error as the 28th(Res)Bn, N.F. was the reserve battalion of the 16th and therefore provided a lot of their reinforcements. Both the Medal Roll's & SDGW certainly has him as 16th Bn, the Medal Roll showing no service with the 19th Bn at all.

Captain C.H. Cooke's Historical Records of the 16th (Service) battalion N.F. has Pte F. White 306 listed as "B" Company No. 7 Platoon.