Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Abbreviation

sotonmate

Any ideas on the full title of the unit shown on MIC as "C of Dns" ? The service number is D/29791.

I thought it might be something to do with Dragoons.

Sotonmate

Yes column of Dragoons ..Corps of dragoons pretty sure one of these. I have chap with same on his record but his file is not in available at the moment

MC

Corps of Dragoons?

It is Corps of Dragoons. You will also find Corps of Lancers and Corps of Hussars. These terms were not part of regimental titles, but just a way of defining the constituent parts of the Cavalry Corps. After all, if I were a Lancer, I might just feel a bit aggrieved if I were simply lumped together with (gulps! clutches chest) Dragoons and Hussars. Hrummmph.

TR

It is Corps of Dragoons. You will also find Corps of Lancers and Corps of Hussars. These terms were not part of regimental titles, but just a way of defining the constituent parts of the Cavalry Corps. After all, if I were a Lancer, I might just feel a bit aggrieved if I were simply lumped together with (gulps! clutches chest) Dragoons and Hussars. Hrummmph.

TR

Not sure that this is correct. Medals were issued to these units. ie

C.OF DNS. 15972 PTE. H.NOTTINGHAM BWM

C.OF HRS. 4524 PTE. W.WICKS. BWM

C.OF LRS. 8162 PTE. P.VAN-MIERLO. BWM

Hello all

Terry Reeves' answer is correct. Daggers' answer is close.

Excluding the Household Cavalry, all Regular cavalry regiments were classified as Dragoons (which included Dragoon Guards), Hussars or Lancers. They were administered by two Cavalry Record Offices: at Canterbury for Dragoons & DG and Lancers and York for Hussars. There were six Cavalry Depots: one in each Home Command other than Aldershot. One handled the Lancers, two the DG and Dragoons, and three the Hussars, each having either four or six regiments under its wing.

Each of the three Corps constituted a single list for the issue of service numbers and postings to, and between, individual regiments.

Yeomanry regiments were also affiliated to one of the three Corps and it is possible that Jim's examples may have come from these regiments rather than the regular ones.

Ron

Thank you everyone !