Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War diary 1st Bn Royal Irish Regiment May 1915

momsirish

hello out there;

Would any one have a copy of the May 1915 War Diary for the Royal Irish Regiment? I am particularly interested in the death (15/5/1915) of Private C. Delaney #4721. Ancesry.com lists he died of wounds in France. CWGC lists him on panel #33 under the Bedfordshire Regiment rolls. Befordshire War Diary for May 1915 does not list casulties that day.

I have been viewing the posts for the last few weeks, and see very little mentioned of the Royal Irish Regiment. Was this Regiment not as active as other units of the British forces?

Thanks, a response is appreciated

momsirish

If you have a look on this thread then you will see that longboat is offering look-ups for RIR. When you have 5 posts to your name then you can PM [send a personal message] via this site

Good luck with your research and welcome :)

Momsirish, welcome.

Not sure what your mean about the CWGC. He is clearly given as 1st Bn, the Royal Irish Regiment: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1609650

I regret that I do not have a copy of the battalion war diary covering that period. If no one here can help with it, the diary is at the National Archives as piece number WO95/2266.

If you have a look on this thread then you will see that longboat is offering look-ups for RIR. When you have 5 posts to your name then you can PM [send a personal message] via this site

Momsirish

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately I dont have the 1st Royal Irish Regt but the 1st Royal Irish Rifles. No good to you I'm afraid.

Good Luck

Stuart

Good luck with your research and welcome :)

Thanks Diane forthe update on Delaney. I was also wondering about how to PM. Every day I learn some thing new on the GWF.

momsirish

Momsirish, welcome.

Not sure what your mean about the CWGC. He is clearly given as 1st Bn, the Royal Irish Regiment: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1609650

I regret that I do not have a copy of the battalion war diary covering that period. If no one here can help with it, the diary is at the National Archives as piece number WO95/2266.

Thanks Chris: What I meant about the CWGC not having anything was that it showed his brother having a DCM, but on Christopher's it does not show any awards/medals at all. The Grave/Memorial reference shows panel #33, but that panel lists C. Delaney under the Bedfordshire Regiment

Momsirish

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately I dont have the 1st Royal Irish Regt but the 1st Royal Irish Rifles. No good to you I'm afraid.

Good Luck

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

I have replied to your PM but, to clarify, he is not on the Beds panel at all. His CWGC entry is under the RIR's and they start on the same panel as the Beds, so I wonder if that is where the confusion arose?

All the best in your searching!

• 1 month later...

Hi

According to Geoghegan:

1st R I Regt in front line trenches in Sanctuary Wood from 3.30am on 7th May. The battalion front was shelled day and night until the 11th. A new trench had to be dug and manned 20 yards behind the old one, fresh earth being piled up in front of the latter to entice the Germans to continue shelling the empty section; the ploy worked well. 12th was quiet; 13th heavy rifle fire; 14th to 20th quiet.

Private C Delaney is shown in SDGW as having been KIA on 15/5/15 rather than DOW.

The 1/RIR left France on 28th November 1915 for the Macedonian Front thence to the Egyptian Expeditionary Force on 6th September 1917 where they remained beyond May 1919.

They were active in the Vierstraat sector, at St Eloi, in the Ypres Salient & Dompierre before heading off to Macedonia