Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded Generals

PhilB

I suppose there must have been about 400 generals wounded in WW1 if the usual wounded/killed ratio applies. Apart from Carton de Wiart, I don`t recall seeing any photos of wounded generals. Famous woundees from previous wars include Nelson & Sickles. Does anyone have examples?

Get hold of the book "Bloody red tabs" - it covers this very subject.

I seem to recall a previous thread on senior officers with wound stripes

Off hand, Arthur Asquith, Archibald Paris, and Bernard Freyberg spring to mind as wounded

here is a few of the top of mu head.

David Campbell Wounded 1914 as Colonel of 9th Lancers

Lt-General Sir William Marshall, has wound stripes in a photo I have. (I think gained as battalion and Brigade commander?)

Claude Jacob was wounded as commander of 21st Division (his GSO1 was killed)

George Gater, commander of 62nd brigade in 1918, wounded more than once.

regards

Arm

here is a few of the top of mu head.

David Campbell Wounded 1914 as Colonel of 9th Lancers

Lt-General Sir William Marshall, has wound stripes in a photo I have. (I think gained as battalion and Brigade commander?)

Claude Jacob was wounded as commander of 21st Division (his GSO1 was killed)

George Gater, commander of 62nd brigade in 1918, wounded more than once.

regards

Arm

Is the OP is looking for generals wounded whilst holding a temporary or permanent rank of general officer? The list of officers wounded who subsequently became a general officer during the Great War swells the numbers somewhat. Like Campbell, I don't think George Gater was wounded as general.

Arm, who is Sir William Marshall? W.R. Marshall?

Cheers,

Simon

Brigadier General N.D.Findlay RA mortally wounded Sept 1914

Major General Sir William Throsby Bridges (Anzac) mortally wounded 15 May 1915

General Beltran US Army wounded in Mexico 1916

Is the OP is looking for generals wounded whilst holding a temporary or permanent rank of general officer? The list of officers wounded who subsequently became a general officer during the Great War swells the numbers somewhat. Like Campbell, I don't think George Gater was wounded as general.

Arm, who is Sir William Marshall? W.R. Marshall?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

I did wonder if Phil meant as a General, but then also wondered if Carton de Wiart was actually wounded as battalion commander, so posted anyway.

Campbell was also wounded at 2nd Ypres as Commander of 6th Cavalry Brigade bio see here http://www.21stdivision1914-18.org/soarercampbell.htm

Re Gater see here http://www.21stdivision1914-18.org/ghgater.htm, according to my notes this would be covered, as he took command after Rawling was killed in action.

Who is Marshall? see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Marsh...Army_officer%29, wrote a good autobiography called 'Memories of four fronts'

Regards

Arm

Brigadier General N.D.Findlay RA mortally wounded Sept 1914

First officer of Generals rank to be killed in WW1 if I recall. Also a class mate of Douglas Haig at Staff College.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Apr 22 2010, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are there any WW1 equivalents to this photo of Gen Sickles - generals with visible wounds?

I have a few pictures of Staff Officers missing an arm but they are not generals.

There is also Lt General Sir Adrian Carton De Wiart VC,KBE,CB,CMG and DSO, not sure if he was a General in WW1 but certainly a Brigade Commander. By the end of his service he had been wounded 13 times (loss of an eye and hand), captured and escaped from the Italians and decorated with a VC and DSO in the 1st war.

Happy Odyssey says it all, an utterly outstanding man.

Um the first post in this thread does say "Apart from Carton de Wiart"

A Canadian General for the list - Brigadier General Victor Williams June 2, 1916 Head wounds (when he came round he blamed it all on poor British staff work).

(when he came round he blamed it all on poor British staff work).

Doesn't everyone?

Um the first post in this thread does say "Apart from Carton de Wiart"

Sorry I must have been out in the sun too long! Rather keen on the man, and he is something of a hero!

Right, here`s Carton de Wiart, now any other photos of WW1 generals with visible wounds? Out of 400ish, surely a few?

post-2329-1272034492.jpg

Withot wishing to pry, Phil, why exactly do you want to see photos of wounded generals? Do you have the Ian Allen Book of Wounds, and need to see a photo of a Wounded General to complete a set of some sort?

There are plenty of photos of wounded men but an apparent paucity of generals, even though there must have been hundreds of them. Some photos of wounded commanders have become quite well known - Nelson, Sickles, C de Wiart eg. I wonder whether the photographing of wounded generals was discouraged in WW1 though I can`t see any reason why it should. I think we`d be doing a courtesy to show that, rather than being chateau bound as in myth, they were physically suffering too.

This may not be genuine

"By order of the general staff all officers of the rank of Brigadier General and above suffering from a visible wound, on the approach of a photographer are to jump inside the nearest cupboard. This is because the Field Marshal thinks that with their odd number of limbs eyes etc they make the place look untidy and anyway they give him the heebie jeebies. Signed on behalf of the Army Council by Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett "

Chris Page's biography 'Command in the RND' contains two photographs of Brigadier General Arthur Asquith in uniform on crutches at his wedding in April 1918, following the amputation of his shattered left ankle about half-way to the knee. Unfortunately for Phil, the fact that he is wearing long trousers and the photos are cropped above ground level means that no other evidence of his unidexterity is visible. There is also a photo from 1935 showing him clambering on his hands and knees onto a pontoon after swimming in a lake, and he is apparently wearing a knee-length stump sock on his left leg - but once again the absence of his foot and ankle is not visible.