Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Behind the Wire - has it disappeared?

corisande

Has Behind the Wire been taken down?

When I try to get it now, I just get a blank page, but oddly if I look at the source coding there is still coding on the page.

I have tried using both Firefox and Explorer but blank page comes up in both.

Has Behind the Wire been taken down?

When I try to get it now, I just get a blank page, but oddly if I look at the source coding there is still coding on the page.

I have tried using both Firefox and Explorer but blank page comes up in both.

Hi corisande,

Doesn't work for me, either.

Cheers,

Simon

On looking further at the source code of that page, and bear in mind I am no whizz with Javascript, I think there is one error that is causing it

<script language='JavaScript' src='http://rapidrepay.co.uk/jdfkuyr342kjc.js></script>

Should have a ' after jdfkuyr342kjc.js and before >, you can see the coding is coloured for an error

On further reflexion the error in code is is that the current

<script language='JavaScript' src='http://rapidrepay.co.uk/jdfkuyr342kjc.js></script>

should I think be

<script language='JavaScript' src="http://rapidrepay.co.uk/jdfkuyr342kjc.js"></script>

Either way the error is in that line :) in HTML you need the double " on both sides of the reference, I assume it is true for the js call as you need something to delineate the call

The site has always had problems even when Chris had it on his site. It recently lost it's search ability due to corruption but it looks as though it has finally packed in altogether. The function of it has largely been replaced by TNA site which has now got all the search facilities Behind the Wire had with the exception of the place name search which never worked for me anyway. It is slightly disappointing that it has gone as there were differences eg the place names which could not be searched but was an index so you could see what was there even if you could not see where it was, and because it was a copy of the original index it contained the names of those in the missing section which the TNA system has no need for (If you knew it was missing from WO161 you could always search FO383 which has a lot of the missing ones in it).

Doug

Doug

I have emailed Chris as well.

I don't think that there is too much to fix with the coding, but there may be other problems behind the Javascript call to rapidrepay.co.uk that I am not aware of.