Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery

Maximus

Hi

I have just found out that my Grandfather was in Kirkee India at some point during WW1, he came back to France and Belgium in 1915 I believe but i do not know anything else about his experiences or duties out there.

If anyone has any information I would be grateful.

Donald McLean, Royal Field Artillery, service no 34150.

Many thanks

June

Bombardier McLean is listed as in 42nd Brigade RFA in the 1914 star roll- based at Bulford summer 1914,and mentioned in despatches in 1917 when a sergeant .. his service records survive..(have you seen them?) he signed up in 1899.. was in Kirkee in 1910 with 2nd battery (13th brigade) but came back home, later 145th Bty which became 45th Bty in 42nd Brigade in 1913 in England.. and seems to have gone to France with them in August 1914 ... to 47th Bty (I think) in 1915 .. and ended the war as a Battery Quartermaster Sergeant; discharged 1919 from 14th Brigade .. . . do you have access to his Service Records?

david

Hi

I have just found out that my Grandfather was in Kirkee India at some point during WW1, he came back to France and Belgium in 1915 I believe but i do not know anything else about his experiences or duties out there.

If anyone has any information I would be grateful.

Donald McLean, Royal Field Artillery, service no 34150.

Many thanks

June

Bombardier McLean is listed as in 42nd Brigade RFA in the 1914 star roll- based at Bulford summer 1914,and mentioned in despatches in 1917 when a sergeant .. his service records survive..(have you seen them?) he signed up in 1899.. was in Kirkee in 1910 with 2nd battery (13th brigade) but came back home, later 145th Bty which became 45th Bty in 42nd Brigade in 1913 in England.. and seems to have gone to France with them in August 1914 ... to 47th Bty (I think) in 1915 .. and ended the war as a Battery Quartermaster Sergeant; discharged 1919 from 14th Brigade .. . . do you have access to his Service Records?

david

Hi David

Thank you for your reply to my recent post.

I have some information on my Grandfathers service ie medals recieved, nothing on India at all and he was in South Africa at some time too but I have no information at all on that.

Thank you for your help

June

• 1 month later...

In 1911:

MCLEAN, Donald Single born 1880 Glasgow Scotland

Bombardier, 2nd Battery R F A, Bangalore, India

Grant