Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German units at Vraucourt nr Bapaume 1918

brendanwyatt

Does anyone know which german units were fighting in the Vraucourt area, 6km from Bapaume, at the beginning of September 1918? My grandfather was fighting in the 2nd battalion Suffolk regiment. The battalion war diary states W & Y companies advanced and established a line in front of Lagnicourt at 2pm on 2nd September. 1 officer and 16 other ranks were wounded. I believe my granfather was one of the other ranks (private). His service record shows he was shot in the left hip on 2nd September and was subsequently returned to England where he spent the remainder of the war at the 3rd southern general hospital at Oxford.

Regards,

Brendan

From what I can gather Bapaume was held by troops of the German Second Army under General Georg von der Marwitz, but I'm not sure about Vraucourt as this may have been held by 17th Army troops under General Otto von below.

You may find this book helpful in your research. It's the histories of 251 divisions of the German Army which particpated in the war:

http://www.vlib.us/wwi/resources/germanarmywwi.pdf

The 6th Bavarian Reserve Division was at Baupaume from August 23rd til early September if that's any help to you.

From what I can gather Bapaume was held by troops of the German Second Army under General Georg von der Marwitz, but I'm not sure about Vraucourt as this may have been held by 17th Army troops under General Otto von below.

You may find this book helpful in your research. It's the histories of 251 divisions of the German Army which particpated in the war:

http://www.vlib.us/wwi/resources/germanarmywwi.pdf

The 6th Bavarian Reserve Division was at Baupaume from August 23rd til early September if that's any help to you.

Thank you for the reference. I am writing a family history with a chapter on the Wyatts at war so any extra details I can find are very helpful.

Regards,

Brendan