Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8th Battalion Durham Light Infantry

draperju

Does anyone have access to either the History of 1/8th Durham Light Infantry or the War Diary for this battalion.

I am interested in the events of thew period 8 to 14 April 1016

Best wishes

Draperju

Does anyone have access to either the History of 1/8th Durham Light Infantry or the War Diary for this battalion.

Best wishes

Draperju

According to the Long LongTrail they were formed up at Bishop Auckland in August 1914 and had a record the same as the 1/6th bn is this is any help.

1/6th Battalion

August 1914 : at Bishop Auckland. Part of DLI Brigade, Northumbrian Division. Moved to Bolden Colliery in early August, then Ravensworth Park. Was at Newcastle by October.

17 April 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

14 May 1915 : became 151st Brigade in 50th (Northumbrian) Division.

3 June 1915 : after taking heavy casualties, 1/6th and 1/8th Bns merged to form 6/8th Bn. Resumed original identity 11 August 1915.

15 July 1918 : reduced to cadre strength and transferred to Lines of Communication.

16 August 1918 : transferred to 117th Brigade in 39th Division.

6 November 1918 : disbanded in France.

Hi

I've got a copy of the 8th Durhams by Veitch. Little appears to have happened during that period but there is a nice map. If you PM me your email address I'll scan the stuff for you

Regards

Martin

I've a copy of the war diary for April 1916 - please PM me with an email address if you want a copy of the relevent pages. It also includes a list of casualties as well for that month - are you looking for anyone in particular?

Col

Best wishes

Draperju