Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Command of a battalion

Michael Pegum

I am researching a Lt. Col. aged 39 who was hoping to be appointed to command a battalion in the field in mid-1918. At home, he had commanded a service battalion which was used as a draft-finding unit, sending on men who had completed their training to other battalions in France.

I have just read, in Anne Wolff's book 'Subalterns of the Foot', that:

"In 1917 an order was issued that no-one over the age of 35 should be given command of a battalion ..."

If this is so, he hadn't a chance. Can anyone quote chapter and verse for this order?

Michael

I would have thought the opposite was true ,the men i have medal groups for that were battalion commanders not just acting, but certainly at least Majors -Temp Lt-Colonels were over 35 :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: . But during the war really hard to see how they could be that fussy if you did the job surely thats what would count.

MC

In the pre-war regular army the maximum term as a CO was 4 years. No such limit existed in the TF or Special Reserve. The quote about no one over 35 actually comes from the final 1918 volume of the Official History. I know of no such order and it certainly wasn't adhered to - there were Lt-Cols over 40 in command of active battalions in 1918.

Peter

The quote about no one over 35 actually comes from the final 1918 volume of the Official History. I know of no such order and it certainly wasn't adhered to - there were Lt-Cols over 40 in command of active battalions in 1918.

[pedant mode] The quote says "be given command" rather than command, the two are not incompatible.[/pedant mode]

The quote says "be given command" rather than command, the two are not incompatible. Good point!

In the pre-war regular army the maximum term as a CO was 4 years. No such limit existed in the TF or Special Reserve. The quote about no one over 35 actually comes from the final 1918 volume of the Official History. I know of no such order and it certainly wasn't adhered to - there were Lt-Cols over 40 in command of active battalions in 1918.

Peter

Can you quote what it says in the volume mentioned? I don't have easy access to the Official History.

Michael

P. 613 '1918' Vol 5.

"In 1917 an order was issued that no one over the age of 35 should be given command of a battalion, but after the peace, 56 again became the limit." The order is not referenced.

"Given command" - what as ... temporary, acting, substantive Lt-Col? There are plenty of all three (but largely acting/temporary) over the age of 35 "given command " in 1918 ... but a number of them are 37/8, and have commanded battalions previously. So the issue was undoubtedly perceived skill rather than an absolute adherence to a supposed age limit.

Peter