Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian 1914-15 Star Trio being split

Nigel Marshall

I was about to put a post on the British Medal Forum when I noticed they had got it covered.

The seller is also splitting two WWII medals to the same man, so it is quite a hefty slipt going on.

A French speaker is being sought or has been found to ask the seller to reconsider the split.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 3 months later...

Great news for the seller, Wendy.

I didn't put links up for the WWII medals also belonging to Pte Callaghan but this was a group of five medals all being split. Unfortunately because of that I don't know how much the full group sold for, but the 1914-15 Star Trio sold in excess of £480.

I have no experience of buying Australian medals, but I would doubt very much that the trio would have realised such a price if it had been sold as a single entity. Maybe even with the inclusion of the other two medals, this price might have been too much money.

I think what have seen here is a dedicated collector being forced to pay over the odds to keep a group of medals together. It sends out both positive and negative messages. The positive being that there are people willing to spend lots of money to safeguard the memory of those who went before them.

The negative is that those dealers and sellers who persist in splitting groups for financial gain are on to a winner.

The ideal is that collectors will stop buying split groups and then the selers will get the message, but how many groups would still get split to facilitate this learning process?

I think this whole thing is sad, and I shudder to think how often it is repeated.

Cheers,

Nigel

Same buyer got all three, great news!!

Well thats great news ,hate when people split up groups for a little extra Cash

Tony