Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Medal

Tommy

Was given this medal a little while ago and haven't a clue what it is.... i'm guessing Greek maybe? but can't be 100% sure, if anybody has any ideas i'd love to hear them please! thank you

post-1889-1271766942.jpg

Greek war cross of military merit

More correctly its the Greek "Medal of Military Merit 1917".

In 1916, the Provisional revolutionary Government in Thessaloniki decided to strike a medal named "Military Medal".

It was finally confirmed later by Royal Decrees and was renamed "Medal of Military Merit."

At first the Medal was awarded for distinguished acts in time of war to those serving in the Armed Forces;

later until 1974, for exceptional Commanding abilities and continuous service in time of peace to those serving in the Armed Forces and Public Security Corps.

The medal was struck in bronze and was awarded in four Classes with assorted insignias on the ribbon ribbon as follows:-

1st Class : Gold /gilt) laurel wreath on the ribbon.

2nd Class : Silver (silvered) laurel wreath on the ribbon.

3rd Class : Bronze laurel wreath on the ribbon.

4th Class : Plain ribbon.

During the last years of its issue a laurel branch was used as differentation of the Classes instead of the wreath.On the jacket ribbon the differenttation of the Clases was shown by adding a laurel branch either in Gold, Silver, Bronze according to the Class.

Due to its long period of issue we have seen sevaral variations in the manufacturing of the Medal and the ribbon.

On some of the Medals the sates "1916 - 1917" have been taken off for unknown reasons.

Apart from the first issue (type .01 and .02) all other types have been awarded as "Medal for Outstanding acts.)

Source:- GREEK MEDALS by GEORGE STRATOUDAKIS.

Connaught Stranger.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the back picture looking at the markings on the back,

located under the dates it appears to be a 4th Class Medal

(I presume there is no insignia on the ribbon ?) made by:-

EME/Anagnostopulos ??

Connaught Stranger :thumbsup:

No nothing on the ribbon just says on the back the larger writing you can see in the picture and around the edge it says:

L.sue pinx, A.A Rivaud sculp, salenigue 1917 (I think the writing is so small) Thanks again, Tom

No nothing on the ribbon just says on the back the larger writing you can see in the picture and around the edge it says:

L.sue pinx, A.A Rivaud sculp, salenigue 1917 (I think the writing is so small) Thanks again, Tom

Hi Tom,

thanks for the clarification with regards the name to the rear.

There are two known types of this medal by A. A. Rivaud

who was the French sculptor André Adolphe Rivaud (1892–1951).

Connaught Stranger. :D

The inscription on the front is ΑΜΥΝΕΣΘΑΙ ΠΕΡΙ ΠΑΤΡΗΣ.

It's the second half of a famous quote from Homer's Iliad, reputedly uttered by Hector in dismissing the omens at the Siege of Troy:

Εις οιωνός άριστος, αμύνεσθαι περί πάτρης - One omen is best: defending your country.

Adrian

P.S. The inscription on the reverse, ΕΛΛΑΣ, means "Greece".

• 2 years later...

I am researching a man who was awarded the Greek Medal for Military Merit - gazetted Aug 1919.

Can anyone say how many were awarded to British troops, and was it awarded for anything particularly associated with Greece or was it, as with some other foreign awards, left to the British to distribute.

...and what was the difference between the classes?

Hi

Approx numbers

1st cl 8

2nd cl 15

2nd cl with silver palm 1

3rd cl 63

4th cl 95

Unknown cl 26 these were gazetted as Greek Medal of Military Merit & no class mentioned

and as with all gazetted foreign awards to commonwealth forces, these were left up to the british to distribute.

Peter

Thanks Peter

I thought that you would know :rolleyes:

Surprisingly few really were awarded.

This was 1919 Aug 21. Greek Medal for Military Merit. 3rd class. Temporary Lieutenant George Gower Anderson, Royal Army Service Corps. A man who later joined the ADRIC and won no other medals. His Greek medal was not mentioned when he joined ADRIC, not on his MIC