Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Matthew Brodie

Swally

Hi Guys,

I've not been on the forum for a while and wonder if you can help me get information for an aunt of mine.

I am trying to find out about a Matthew Brodie who served with a Highland Regiment during WW1 and survived.

I imagine he was born late 1880 - 1890s and lived around the Shotts area of Lanarkshire.

Matthew Brodie Joseph,

Janet abt 1893 Haywood, Lanarkshire Son Haywood Lanarkshire

I've asked my aunt if she can provide further details and I'll post them when I get them

Ta,

Swally

Think this is the Family, :thumbsup: (Matthew W Brodie Scottish Rifles 39836&45476 H.L.I.? or Matthew A Brodie H.L.I 26999 or Matthew Brodie H.L.I 7347&Royal Scots )30292.?

Name: Matthew Brodie

Estimated birth year: abt 1893

Relationship: Son

Father's Name: Joseph

Mother's Name: Janet

Where born: Haywood, Lanarkshire

Registration Number: 632/3

Registration district: Haywood

Civil parish: Haywood

County: Lanarkshire

Address: 3 Lawhead Street

ED: 1

Household schedule number: 47

Line: 15

Roll: CSSCT1901_257

Household Members: Name Age

Joseph Brodie 38

Janet Brodie 36

Agnes Brodie 15

Jane Brodie 13

John Brodie 10

Jessie Brodie 10

Matthew Brodie 8

William Brodie 6

Rebecca Brodie 4

Maggie Brodie 3

Mary Brodie 1

all the best Gary

This may be his Medal Index Card, can anyone make it out??

Ta,

Swally

post-7142-1271709396.jpg

2b and 7347 would make him one of the 8th (Lanark) HLI replacements who were sent out to reinforce the Royal Scots at Gallpoli , for the life of me I can't remember which battalion thet joined. One company of the 8th HLI were already with the 8th Royal Scots in France.

John

Edit - make that 7th RS

Hi

On his MIC the 2 pencilled dates on the right are possibly the date he died and the date MOD were notified of his death?

regards

Robert

Robert,

I don't think that is correct as he survived the war then emigrated to Australia.

Cheers,

Swally

2b and 7347 would make him one of the 8th (Lanark) HLI replacements who were sent out to reinforce the Royal Scots at Gallpoli , for the life of me I can't remember which battalion thet joined. One company of the 8th HLI were already with the 8th Royal Scots in France.

John,

Thanks for your help once again, have you any info on the R.S. 7th at Gallipoli, such a war diary?

Regards,

Swally

I don't have the 7th RS Diary as yet , but should have in the next couple of weeks perhaps, incidentally the dates Robert was referring to are in 1960, maybe it could be his death? The 7th had a very traumatic time as you probably aware half them being killed or injured in the Gretna Disaster, then heavy casualties at Gallipoli, only a very small percentage of the original battalion was left alive by that time.

I do have a photo gallery of the 7th but the vast majority are casualties, I have the victims of the rail disaster but have not got tehm on yet.

John

I don't have the 7th RS Diary as yet , but should have in the next couple of weeks perhaps, incidentally the dates Robert was referring to are in 1960, maybe it could be his death? The 7th had a very traumatic time as you probably aware half them being killed or injured in the Gretna Disaster, then heavy casualties at Gallipoli, only a very small percentage of the original battalion was left alive by that time.

I do have a photo gallery of the 7th but the vast majority are casualties, I have the victims of the rail disaster but have not got tehm on yet.

John

Brilliant site John you are to be commended for your hard work and diligence.

I 'll keep hunting for my man

cheers

Swally