Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Henry Dorn 10th Btn Sherwood Foresters

For Charlie

Hello all

I'm trying to find some information about Private 17916 Charles Henry Dorn.

I have some basic info and would appreciate any guidance on finding more. I requested his medal card, which was under the name C. R. Dorn but service No. matched. He lived in Kirby in Ashfield and enlisted at Mansfield and was killed in action April 23 1917. I have Heather Faulks to thank for the previous information, which she posted on http://www.oldnotts.co.uk/kirkby/memorial/ww1names.htm along with many other entries on the Kirkby in Ashfield Cenotaph.

What I would really like to know is in which battle would he have probably died and how I could find out if there were any photo's from regiment or newspapers of the time of the Battalion or men in the trenches.

I have sent for the W. N. Hoyte Book in the hope it will give me an insight to the battles he survived and also his last.

I hope you may be able to help.

Best regards

Keith

Hi Keith welcome to the Forum,his medal card has his entitlement ( trio ) and his date of entry 13/08/1915 ( France ) , and died 23/04/1917,and his number was 19716.

all the best Gary.

Hi Keith welcome to the Forum,his medal card has his entitlement ( trio ) and his date of entry 13/08/1915 ( France ) , and died 23/04/1917,and his number was 19716.

all the best Gary.

Thanks Gary

This forum looks great and people always seem happy to help.

Regards

Keith

FC

He was killed at the 2nd Battle of the Scarpe, 23/24 April 1917,a phase of the Battles of Arras.

He is remembered on the Arras Memorial as he has no known grave. His Battalion was part of 51 Brigade of 17 Division of VI Corps of 3rd Army.

His Battalion originally arrived in France in Jul 1915,at the same time as the Division as a whole,so your subject arrived during Aug 1915. You can read of the 10 SFs war from the War Diary which is at Kew under WO95/2008 and runs from Jul 1915 through to Mar 1919. It is digital so you can pay 3.50 for a download from the National Archives Catalogue and get all of his action from Aug 1915 to the day of his death in Apr 1917.

Sotonmate

In 1911 he was a Pony Driver down the Mines and had 2 brothers and 2 sisters

Grant

Many thanks to Sotonmate and Grant

You have made this project so much more interesting than I had realised.

One of Charles's brothers was my Grandfather and the family had originally moved to this area from Abingdon for work in the pits.

I had passed the cenotaph hundreds of times as a child and always wondered who this person with my sirmane was.

I have a very fragmented family and could find no information through them so your help has been invaluable.

Thanks again

Keith

K

The War Diary ref page is here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...mp;Searchlnst=4

Click on the ref box at top left of screen. Next page choose the item for 10 SF and on next page click on "request this",following page click on Go for a digital image process.

Sotonmate

Keith. If you do not have his medal card, let me have your email address and I will send it on. Ralph.

Medal Roll

Looks like he served in 11th Battalion before 10th Battalion

post-4619-1271779189.jpg

and war diary entry

post-4619-1271779275.jpg

cheers

Mike

Medal Roll

Looks like he served in 11th Battalion before 10th Battalion

post-4619-1271779189.jpg

and war diary entry

post-4619-1271779275.jpg

cheers

Mike

Thanks very much Mike

Very interesting. I wonder why he moved from 11th to 10th Sherwoods. I'm planning to contact the curator at Chetwynd Barracks

to see if there is any more to find out.

Thanks for the images. I downloaded the war diaries from archives but have not found the page you sent me. The page I have seen for April 23 1917 looks different, although there are five pdf files and I haven't looked at them all yet.

Best regards

Keith