Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pt j gadsby 1st/5th bn leicestershire reg

septimus 829

hello everyone can anyone help with any imformation on pt gabsby a local man whose daughter who is herself now getting on would like to know any information anyone can find he was 1st/5th leicestershire reg no 1716 kia 11-5-1915 and is buried in lindenhoek chalet cemetry belgium if anyone can help would be very gratefull thanks paul

Hi Paul,

His MIC:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=2422975

Confirms his name was John and he landed in France on 28.2.15, of course entitled to the 1915 Star as well as the usual British War and Victory Medals, and giving KIA date. No indication that anyone claimed his medals.

You probably know the chances of any of his records surviving WW2 are extremely slim, but hopefully the experts on here can provide more information.

Louise

Edited to add: I stand corrected - these seem to be his papers:-

Name: John Gadsby

Estimated birth year: abt 1893

Age at Enlistment: 20

Document Year: 1913

Regiment Name: B??

Number of Images: 13

Ancestry link: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...&recoff=1+2

Hello Paul,

The information below is as follows, Date of enlistment, date of entry, service number, battalion, rank, name, place of birth, place of enlistment, how died and date, place and cemetery or memeorial.

24.09.1913. 28.02.1915. 1716 1/5TH PRIVATE JOHN GADSBY BREEDON ON THE HILL BREEDON ON THE HILL KIA 11.05.1915. F&F LINDENHOEK CHALET MILITARY CEMETERY

I'll have a look at the battalion diary for you.

Regards. Llew.

Hello Paul,

The information below is as follows, Date of enlistment, date of entry, service number, battalion, rank, name, place of birth, place of enlistment, how died and date, place and cemetery or memeorial.

24.09.1913. 28.02.1915. 1716 1/5TH PRIVATE JOHN GADSBY BREEDON ON THE HILL BREEDON ON THE HILL KIA 11.05.1915. F&F LINDENHOEK CHALET MILITARY CEMETERY

I'll have a look at the battalion diary for you.

Regards. Llew.

thanks Llew

Paul,

The 1/5th Battalion diary entry for the 11.05.1915 records,

Trenches 14 and 18 relieved by the SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGT and trench E.4 by the 5th Battn LINCOLNSHIRE REGT as a result of Divisional Order apportioning a fresh sector of trenches. Battn proceeded back to hutments. Casualties 3 killed and 12 wounded.

If you could send me a pm with your e mail address I can send you a PDF of the Battalion history 1914-19.

Regards. Llew.