Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A.H. Cable Section Royal Engineers

Rob Chester

I have a photograph of the "A.H. Cable Section Royal Engineers" taken in 1915. I believe that the A.H. is a unit designation rather than a technical term for the type of cable (I have seen references to A.L. Cable Section and K.K. Cable Section) does anybody out there know what the A.H. designation means, is it nothing more than a way of telling the different sections apart or is it more significant than that?

Any help or thought very gratefully recieved.

Hello Rob

Yes, it is simply a two-letter unit identifier. The original cable sections with the BEF had single letters but as they increased in number they used two letters: either the same letter doubled e.g. KK, or starting A, B or C as in your other examples. The letters do not stand for anything, or denote a particular type of cable. They acted, in effect, as call signs.

Ron

May I ask if the photo is named, as I have always believed that my great-grandfather was in one of the Cable Sections - but have no idea which one....

Steve.

May I ask if the photo is named, as I have always believed that my great-grandfather was in one of the Cable Sections - but have no idea which one....

Steve.

I am afraid the only named peson is the commander William Burton Elwes.

Oh, well - the search goes on. Thank you anyway.

Steve.