Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private S.Lewis of the East Surreys -'Enlisted at 12'

Guest North One TV

Guest North One TV

Hi All

I am an Assistant Producer with North One Television, a UK Independent Production Company which is part of All3Media group. We produce programmes such as ‘The Gadget Show’ and ‘Fifth Gear’.

We are interested in producing a documentary about the youngest British Soldier to serve at the Battle of the Somme. We gather from historian, Richard Van Emden that the soldier in question was a Private S.Lewis of the East Surreys. He fought at the Battle of the Somme for 6 weeks at the age of 12 – once officials became aware of his age he was shipped back to Britain.

We understand there was an article published in the Daily Mirror entitled ‘Enlisted at 12’ in October 1916. We would very much like to get hold of a copy of this article and any other information which someone might be offer about Private S.Lewis (his first name would be especially useful).

As of yet, this is all we have to go on so any help would be greatly appreciated – please do not hesitate to drop me a line: charlotte.clappison@northonetv.com

Best wishes

Charlotte

This could be tricky.

Only three S. Lewis's figure in the medals index with service with the East Surreys, and two can be ruled out on the basis of facts that appear there (or in the case of one, that he died at the age of 24).

The man who can not be ruled out is Pte 30053 Sydney Clive Lewis - but he was not enlisted until 31 August 1916, which implies he is a conscript. And 12 year olds were pretty unlikely to be conscripted!

There is no surviving service record that I can spot from a quick search that shows any clues re a 12 year old. However Sydney Clive Lewis' file does exist and shows that he was born in 1890.

Does not Mr Van Emden have some supporting information?

I have heard he is an historian who does "research" and all that other clever stuff.

The website of the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment (which includes access to the East Surrey's war diaries) into which the East Surreys were later incorporated Here may be of interest and it might be worthwhile contacting the Surrey History Centre Here which holds extensive archive material of the East Surrey Regiment .

NigelS

N1TV

British Library Newspaper Archives, Colindale, North London, would probably have a copy.

Sotonmate

i did have a copy of the Original Daily Mirror article,dated as you say,and it does contain a Photo of Pte Lewis,and he certainly does look very,very,young.I obtained my copy from The National Newspaper Library at Colindale.

The piece appeared in the Daily Mirror of 16 September 1916. Lewis was supposed to have been aged 12 when he enlisted in August 1915.

Charles M

Guest North One TV

Many thanks to everyone for all your help with my request; it gives me some new leads which I will explore. I think the key is tracking down the article which, will be my first port of call.

In the mean time, please let me know if you come across any extra information – I will get cracking with what I have; it's a fascinating story. Thanks once again. Charlotte (charlotte.clappison@northonetv.com)

For what it's worth this was published on a European History blog last November

"The British press have published recollections of a former British soldier in World War 1 which reveals the tale of a twelve year old boy. The memories come from George Maher, who lied about his age to enlist for the British army when he was only 13, and was sent to the front line trenches during the Battle of the Somme. He broke down during the conflict and his true age was revealed, at which point he was locked up in a train with other boys who had also lied. One, unnamed in the report I read in the Telegraph, was only twelve, and had also lied about his age. Mayer recalled "The youngest was 12 years old. A little nuggety bloke he was, too. We joked that the other soldiers would have had to have lifted him up to see over the trenches." This would make the boy the youngest soldier known to have served in the British army during the war."

The Surrey History Centre would probably not have anything on S Lewis, unless it appeared in a local newspaper, if he came from Surrey, around the time of the Daily Mirror article.

The Woking News & Mail has two stories on 15 September and 1 December 1916 about two 14 year olds, William Young and William Harwood, who lied about their age and enlisted. Both saw service in France.

William Young served with the Royal Sussex Regiment and was blown up and buried by a shell on 3 September 1916. He was found and returned to this country suffering from shellshock.

William Horwood, when aged 14, managed to enlist in the KRRC in May 1915; but was promptly claimed by his parents. In June, he then joined 3/5th Queen’s, and served with then until January 1916, when he was again claimed by his parents. He then joined the 9th Queen’s and in April 1916, transferred to the 11th Queen’s and saw 4 months service in France, before his parents once again claimed him. He was reported as being unwilling to leave the army on all three occasions. It was also stated that by the time he was 15 he was 6ft tall.

These are only two under age lads who falsely enlisted during the war. Interestingly, these two boys are mentioned around the time of the Daily Mirror story.

It is also worth pointing out that according to the recruitment registers held at the Surrey History Centre, there were 86 14 year olds who legally enlisted as boy soldiers in the East Surrey Regimental Recruitment District between 1914 and December 1918.

Regards

Bootneck